Eau Claire Co. WIGenWeb what's new tools photos histories databases home
Histories > Eau Claire County Historical Accounts >

"Eau Claire County History, 1949"


History of Truax School Area

By the pupils of Truax School

Truax Prairie got its name from Mr. Peter Truax, who established the present Harris farm site.

In 1870 Mr. Truax built a barn in which he kept 100 horses.  This barn was built across the road from the farm house.  The school house was built near this barn.  After about ten years this barn was destroyed by lightning.  The school site seemed to be undesirable and the present site was chosen.

This particular section was called Oak Grove.  It became a part of West Eau Claire, later the Town of Union.

This township had an Indian scare.  A man rode through the country shouting an Indian alarm.  Everyone went to Eau Claire and waited but nothing happened.

A Mrs. Connors solicited help from local loggers and was able to build the Wheaton church.  In 1922 Mrs. Peter Truax had the church remodeled and changed the name to the Truax Church.

Mr. McKinnon built the first Truax Store.  It has changed hands many times.

The railroad line had gone through the township but not until the year of 1875 was the Truax Station built.  The first day the station was used a celebration was held at which time a whole ox was roasted.
  

Please use this form to search this site:
  Help
Site Search by PicoSearch pico
disclaimer

The WIGenWeb Project logo was designed and provided by Debbie Barrett.



DISCLAIMER:  No claim is made to the copyrights of the individual submitters. The contents of this entire website may be used for personal use only by individuals researching their ancestry. Commercial use of this information for profit is strictly prohibited without prior permission of the owners. Other genealogical websites may link to this website; however, permission is not granted to duplicate any of the contents. Anyone contributing material for posting does so in recognition of its free, non-commercial distribution, as well as the responsibility to assure that no copyright is violated by the submission.  This website and its coordinator are not responsible for donations of copyrighted material where explicit written permission has not been granted for use.

copyright footer


Copyright © 1998 - 2012 wigenwebcc
All Rights Reserved
This website was first established on 28 Jan 1998