Histories > Eau Claire County Historical Accounts >
"Eau Claire County History, 1949"
History of Springfield Prairie School Area
We wish to thank Mr. Florine Hiess, Mr. Hugh Carey, Mr. and Mrs. Walter Aude, our parents and to the many people who helped us in getting the history of this school district.
First school was on Earl Falch's field. The log school was later used for a barn. The children then went to the Cameron School in Chippewa County. The first schoolhouse on the present site was a small wooden structure. In 1903 the new school was built. Fred Drung, Walter Aude were treasurers, W. P. McCaughy and Nels Christensen were the other members on the board.
It is easy to see why they called the school the Springfield Prairie as it is on the "Prairie". This settlement, is called the Springfield Prairie as it is on the "Prairie."
Some of the teachers before 1912 were Margret Bavard, Lottie Carden and Miss Burnell.
The teachers to date are:
In 1944 the Springfield Prairie School, Oak Knoll and Bowman School were put into one district. Our present board is Mrs. Harry Green, clerk; Mr. Clarence Kranig, treasurer; and Mr. John Lane, director.
Looking over old records we found that Springfield Prairie has had many visitors, some of them have been: Mrs. Walter Aude, November 17, 1917; Laura Christenson, November 14, 1917; Anna Heiss, December 13, 1918; Lillia Johnson, January 10, 1919; Mrs. Paul Reiter, February 25, 1921; Mrs. Wm. Krumenauer and Carl and Tony, 1921; George and Mary Statz, April 16, 1926; Miss Wilcox, October 9, 1929; Miss Webster, November 1, 1929.
In 1880 the church was organized and built. The foundation rock was taken from the old Indian
Signal Rock which was on the Martin Anderson's farm. This church was struck by lightning. The first church was started by Mr. Muldoon, Mr. McQuillan and Mr. Hugh Carey's father.
The church was named St. Bridget. It was so named because at this time there was in Ireland a Catholic girl who was put to death. Her name was Bridget. This being an Irish settlement they thought that was a good name.
The present church was built about 1900 by T. A. Roycraft and Albert Melville.
When the church was first built, they had church once a month. The first woman to be married there was Miss Mary Ann Cogan.
The Church Hall was built in 1910 or 1911 and rebuilt by Mr. Statz in 1937. A few years ago this hall burned
The first telephone was in 1907. It was called the Melville Settlement Phone Company. The switchboard was across from the LaFayette Creamery.
Walter Aude had the first car. He bought it in 1920 from Hemenin in Chippewa Falls. The car was a Regal with a Ford engine.
A skimming station for skimming milk was set up at Walter Aude's corner about 1900. It ran about 7 years.
Mr. Walter Aude is the oldest settler now living. Close behind him is Mr. Hugh Carey who was born west of where he is now living. Mr. Florine Hiess has lived here for many years.
Mr. Carey related some very interesting Indian stories to us. He told us that the Indians would use the Prairie for camping grounds, while they used the hill around for hunting grounds. Mr. Carey's mother was frightened many times by the Inidans when they came hunting.
We were surprised to know that at one time our district even had a store. Mr. Heiss now lives in part of the old store.
Our school feels that we too have had interesting settlers in the making of the history of Wisconsin.
to search this site:
The WIGenWeb Project logo was designed and provided by Debbie Barrett.
DISCLAIMER: No claim is made to the copyrights of the individual submitters. The contents of this entire website may be used for personal use only by individuals researching their ancestry. Commercial use of this information for profit is strictly prohibited without prior permission of the owners. Other genealogical websites may link to this website; however, permission is not granted to duplicate any of the contents. Anyone contributing material for posting does so in recognition of its free, non-commercial distribution, as well as the responsibility to assure that no copyright is violated by the submission. This website and its coordinator are not responsible for donations of copyrighted material where explicit written permission has not been granted for use.
Copyright © 1998 - 2012 wigenwebcc
All Rights Reserved
This website was first established on 28 Jan 1998