Histories > Eau Claire County Historical Accounts >
"Eau Claire County History, 1949"
History of the Shaw School District
By the Seventh and Eighth Graders
Some of our early settlers in the Shaw School district were Savage and Israel Sequin from Canada, (now Kermit Holcomb farm) William Hazelton, (now Abe Barneson farm) George Galusha, (no Lawrence Plomedahls farm) Jerome Evans in 1867, (now Glander farm and the Ralph Evans farm) David Savoria, (now Loren Brott farm) Kanute Bendickson (land that is now owned by Holcombs) Joseph Smith, (now Adeline Stuber farm) Howell Drake, owned most of the land including school yard. Frank Kirkhoff, (now Clarence Barneson farm) Andrew Foss, (now Howard Enger farm) George B. Shaw, (now Leslie Plomedahl farm) and Isacson owned the land where Howard Enger now lives. They came to this unexplored land to make a better living. They had to clear the land for their crops and their homes.
There was the Shaw store, a Blacksmith shop owned by Clarks and a telephone company, Charles Sequin the founder of it.
The first post office was established about the year 1895. Warren Hatch was the first post master. The post office was in the Hatch home, (now Ewald Behlke farm) Albert Hatch became next postmaster and the post office was moved to his farm, (now Earl Boshe's farm). The next postmaster was Nels Johnson (Leslie Plomedahl's farm). It was named the Shaw post office in honor of George E. Shaw who then was a representative in Congress from this district.
In July 1894 a Sunday School missionary named Frank Looksley organized a Sunday School which was held in the school first known as the old Sequin School, now known as the Shaw School. This Sunday School started the building of the Methodist Church in 1898. The people of the community took a collection or fund drive to establish a church in our district. The total amount of money received was $1,326.37. They built the church in 1898, in 1907 it was destroyed by a tornado, they rebuilt it in 1908 and once again it was destroyed by lightning in 1920. In 1922 they rebuilt it again adnd that is the church that remains there today.
school house built in the Shaw district was built near where the
church now stands.
It was a large district including part of what is now the town of Clear
Creek. The present
school was built several years later. Today it is nearly one
years old. It
By -- Lavonna Hawkins, Lawrence Behlke, Gale Pederson and Richard Wadsworth
to search this site:
The WIGenWeb Project logo was designed and provided by Debbie Barrett.
DISCLAIMER: No claim is made to the copyrights of the individual submitters. The contents of this entire website may be used for personal use only by individuals researching their ancestry. Commercial use of this information for profit is strictly prohibited without prior permission of the owners. Other genealogical websites may link to this website; however, permission is not granted to duplicate any of the contents. Anyone contributing material for posting does so in recognition of its free, non-commercial distribution, as well as the responsibility to assure that no copyright is violated by the submission. This website and its coordinator are not responsible for donations of copyrighted material where explicit written permission has not been granted for use.
Copyright © 1998 - 2012 wigenwebcc
All Rights Reserved
This website was first established on 28 Jan 1998