Histories > Eau Claire County Historical Accounts >
"Eau Claire County History, 1949"
History of Rodell School Area, 1856 - 1948
From wild land and June roses to an up-to-date farming region.
We could not find in the records why the school, station, and surrounding country were called Rosedale. But so the story goes this wild country abounded in June roses. Rosedale was later changed to Rodell. The station agent at Altoona sends us the following statement.
So the school, store and vicinity have since been known as Rodell.
When settlers first came to this part of Eau Claire County they found that it ws not heavily wooded but was known as 'wild land'.
As early as 1856 Israel and Eliza Herrell, a young married couple came to Eau Claire County and purchased 320 acres of this wild land. It was located one mile east of the Rodell Store. Here they grubbed, tilled and made a good farm of it. Three boys and two girls were born to them. Here they lived for many years. Each passing year bringing many changes and improvements. One of the vast improvements made by the state was the "tote" road built about 1865 from Eau Claire to Sparta which passed right by their home as it went in as a direct a path as hills and swamps would permit. It went just sough of the bluff on the B. F. Von Berg farm.
Ernest Herrell, former editor of "The Union", was the eldest son of this couple. In 1886 he taught the Rosedale School. After the death of his parents he came into possession of 120 acres of the old homestead.
Mr. and Mrs. Eugene Herrell built a lovely home on an eighty which belonged to the original farm. Both were active in the affairs of the school and community. This farm is now owned by Albert Ida (1949).
In 1896 Andrew and Mary Fomberg purchased 120 acres of land from her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Israel Herrell. This is the only part of the original 320 acres now owned by a relative. Mrs. Fomberg was Mary Herrell. She now lives in Eau Claire. After the death of her husband, she rented her farm to Mr. and Mrs. Frank Herrick for one year. Mr. and Mrs. Edward Bann and family were there for the next six years and for the past twenty-six years it has been operated by Mr. and Mrs. Arthur Bann.
Another of the early settlers was John Honadel, Sr., who came to this country from Germany to make his home on the farm which his son, John, now owns and which is operated by the latter's son, Elmer. The farm at that time, which was in 1862, contained 280 acres. Mr. Honadel Sr. was prominent in the life of the community, having served on the school board for many years and as "path master" a number of terms. Some of his children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren still live on and near the old home. Two of his great-grandchildren, Darlene Honadel and Karen Schacht, are attending the Rodell School in which he was greatly interested.
Christian Swanke and family also came in 1862 to make their home a short distance west of Rodell. Records show that he was also interested in the progress of the school. The old home was in the family name until about five years ago when it was purchased by Edward Schacht.
Christoph Erdman came to American in 1862 and a short time later came to Rodell to settle on 230 acres of land. Several acres of this land still belong to his descendants. In 1891 his son Julius took over the farm. A few years later he saw the need of a mercantile store to supply the wants of the greatly increased population of Rodell and vicinity. He erected a large brick building a short distance from the O. A. Williams skimming station and the McGuire Hay and Grain Company's warehouse. Here he started business January 21, 1896. The store still stands and is operated by Julius Erdman's son, T. W. Erdman.
The skimming station became a thing of the past and the McGuire Hay and Grain buildings were torn down when highway 12 was built.
Teachers of the Rodell School
The children were transported to Lincoln Valley View School 1944 - 1945. Elizabeth Daniels was the teacher there.
1945 - 1946
The Lincoln Valley View district consolidated with the Rodell School district in 1947. The school officers of 1874 were:
Stevens - Treasurer
The present officers are:
Honadel - Treasurer
The pupils and I wish to thank those who answered our letters; those who gave us information otherwise; and those who have preserved the records throughout the years.
Information gathered by Mrs. Bann and pupils.
to search this site:
The WIGenWeb Project logo was designed and provided by Debbie Barrett.
DISCLAIMER: No claim is made to the copyrights of the individual submitters. The contents of this entire website may be used for personal use only by individuals researching their ancestry. Commercial use of this information for profit is strictly prohibited without prior permission of the owners. Other genealogical websites may link to this website; however, permission is not granted to duplicate any of the contents. Anyone contributing material for posting does so in recognition of its free, non-commercial distribution, as well as the responsibility to assure that no copyright is violated by the submission. This website and its coordinator are not responsible for donations of copyrighted material where explicit written permission has not been granted for use.
Copyright © 1998 - 2012 wigenwebcc
All Rights Reserved
This website was first established on 28 Jan 1998