Eau Claire Co. WIGenWeb what's new tools photos histories databases home
Histories > Eau Claire County Historical Accounts >

"Eau Claire County History, 1949"


History of the Jensen School District

School District Number 8, town of Pleasant Valley was organized July 20, 1875, at the home of
Addison Higley, by the town board.  The following officers were elected:  Thomas McKernon, directory; Addison Higley, treasurer and Patrie Kelley, for clerk.  At the annual meeting 8 votes were cast.  At that meeting it was voted that the school board act as the building committee and have the school house ready by May 1, 1876. It was also voted to raise $120.00 for teachers salary, and $5.00 for incidental fund.

On February 23, 1875 Addison Higley was paid $6.67 for hauling the lumber from Fairchild to build the school house, the size being 12 ft. by 16 ft.  The total amount for lumber was $44.49. Thomas Clauson was hired to build said school house.  He was paid $6.75 for his work.  The first stove with pipe cost $6.00 and Ellif Ness was paid 10 cents for hauling it from Eau Claire. Miss Fannie Oliver was the first teacher and on July 7, 1876 she was paid the sum of $38.18 for teaching two months of school.  On December 10, 1877 the sum of $11.25 to John Dunn for five cords of wood.

On the 31st of May 1886 the sum of $10.00 was paid to S. A. Quall for one acre of land located on the present site.  One dollar was paid for the recording.  On 1887 it was voted to build a new school house 18 ft. by 26 ft with 12 foot studding, and also to borrow $200.00 from the state school fund to build it.  A contract was made with Thomas Lindsey to built a school house. At the same meeting it wa voted to pay John Jensen 25 cents for going to Eau Claire for supplies. Andrew Gilberg was given the contract to grub and break the ground, which was done with oxen. The sum of $10.00 was paid for the job.  The sum of $16.60 was paid Samuel Bollinger and A. L. Brown for moving the old school house to the present site to be used as a woodshed.  E. E. Erickson was paid $5.00 for dragging and seeding the school ground and underspring the woodshed.

From the beginning of this district up to 1894 teachers had been hired.  They are as follows:

Fannie Oliver, Kittie Kearney, Mary McKak, W. L. Evans, Ollie Randall, Mary Crocker, Hattie Randall, Hannah Cussick, Addie E. Jackson, Mary Burns, Elaine Dukig, Minnie Bostwick, Delia McVicar.  1884 - Mary Conley.  1886 - Cassie Conley, Miss Samuels.  1887 - Effie Burce. 1888 - Caddie Harden, Connie Jackson, Elia Evans, Mattie Jackson.  1890 - Susie Conley, Anna Myer. 1893 - Nellie Wing, Nettie ?.  1894 - Minnie Saugen.



Please use this form to search this site:
  Help
Site Search by PicoSearch pico
disclaimer

The WIGenWeb Project logo was designed and provided by Debbie Barrett.



DISCLAIMER:  No claim is made to the copyrights of the individual submitters. The contents of this entire website may be used for personal use only by individuals researching their ancestry. Commercial use of this information for profit is strictly prohibited without prior permission of the owners. Other genealogical websites may link to this website; however, permission is not granted to duplicate any of the contents. Anyone contributing material for posting does so in recognition of its free, non-commercial distribution, as well as the responsibility to assure that no copyright is violated by the submission.  This website and its coordinator are not responsible for donations of copyrighted material where explicit written permission has not been granted for use.

copyright footer


Copyright © 1998 - 2012 wigenwebcc
All Rights Reserved
This website was first established on 28 Jan 1998