Histories > Eau Claire County Historical Accounts >
"Eau Claire County History, 1949"
History of Grandview School Area
The Town of Wilson is located in the northeastern corner of Eau Claire county. It was originally included in the Town of Ludington. The present Town of Wilson was separated by special proceedings on March 24, 1916 by the Eau Claire County Board of Supervisors consisting of a county committee: J. H. Fleming, G. Roesler, H. H. Kromroy, I. Stein and E. Elbertson. The meeting was held in the Fritzhugh School House, District No. 5. The town consists of 48 sections.
The first annual town meeting was held April 4, 1916. At this time Otto Hemp was elected chairman of the meeting. This meeting was also held in the Fritzhugh School House. As Woodrow Wilson was president at this time, the name "Wilson" was given to the new town.
In 1918, there was a change of officers. Bert R. Taylor was elected clerk. Mr. Taylor still holds this position (as of 1949). He has given 30 years of faithful service.
The township at one time was covered with a fine stand of timber. This timber was logged off by different lumber companies. Besides the logs of lumber, stove bolts and other needed articles from lumber were cut. Maple sugar and syrup was also an important product of this region.
From this cut off land, farms were cleared by some of the following early settlers: Dan Fritzhugh, Frank D. Lamatter, Elmer Graves, George, Arthur and Ezra Macomber, Otto Hemp, Wm. Hibbard and Eugene Sprinkle.
The roads to these early farms were mere corderoy trails. One of these trails is now the present County Trunk "G" which goes south into Augusta and northeast to Stanley (Chippewa Co.). Another is a newer road, County Trunk "H" from Fairchild to Stanley.
The roads were poor and no mail was delivered to mailboxes along the road side. Jack Horn was the first rural carrier for Wilson. He carried the mail only as far as the store in Wilson. It didn't matter, good weather or bad, he carried the mail, sometimes walking and carrying the mail on his back. Later the present route was established taking in the Grandview Territory. Roman Wilkom is the present mail carrier (1949).
As time went on and the country was opened up, a school house was built. The first one was built before 1913. It was a frame building painted red and called by the children, "The Little Red School House." The present school house was built in 1929. It was named "Grandview" because of the grand view that could be seen from the porch of the old school house. The land was donated by Frank Talmadge.
North of Grandview School, a store and cheese factory were built. In 1919 these were added to the community. The town hall was built the year before, in 1918. An addition was built to the hall in 1924. Part of the money for the addition was given by the Ladies Serving Club.
These buildings and the County Sheds and St. Peter's Church were built on what is known as the "Upper Dam" on the Muskrat River. South and west was the Middle Dam. This dam was used to raise the water to float the logs to the Eau Claire River.
Time changes many things. From trails through the woods, where arrows, spear heads and stone hammers left by some tribe of Indians, perhaps not too ancient, have been found. Wilson has grown and become modern. Not only does she enjoy the protection of a fire tower, looked after by LeRoy Sheets but she enjoys the wonders of nature symbolic of that protection.
to search this site:
The WIGenWeb Project logo was designed and provided by Debbie Barrett.
DISCLAIMER: No claim is made to the copyrights of the individual submitters. The contents of this entire website may be used for personal use only by individuals researching their ancestry. Commercial use of this information for profit is strictly prohibited without prior permission of the owners. Other genealogical websites may link to this website; however, permission is not granted to duplicate any of the contents. Anyone contributing material for posting does so in recognition of its free, non-commercial distribution, as well as the responsibility to assure that no copyright is violated by the submission. This website and its coordinator are not responsible for donations of copyrighted material where explicit written permission has not been granted for use.
Copyright © 1998 - 2012 wigenwebcc
All Rights Reserved
This website was first established on 28 Jan 1998