Eau Claire Co. WIGenWeb what's new tools photos histories databases home
Histories > Eau Claire County Historical Accounts >

"Eau Claire County History, 1949"


History of Evergreen School Area

Wilson Township, Eau Claire County, was organized March 24, 1916.  The first town meeting was held April 4, 1916.  Otto Hemp was chairman of the first caucus.  Mr. Kemp also called the first meeting to order.  The township was given the name of Wilson in honor of Woodrow Wilson, then President of the United States.

The township was later divided into five school districts.  The early settlers in the Fitzhugh district were Elmer Graves, John and Henry Croasdale and Charles Ecklor.  Residents living in Grand View District were, John Raycher, Otto Hemp, John Mehoves, Wm. Romaine, Dan Rogers, and Eugene Sprinkle.  Mr. Arthur Mcomber, now past eighty years and his wife have lived continuously on their present home farm for fifty years.

The first industry of Wilson was logging and lumbering.  Several lumber companies owned large acreages of land in Wilson and logged off the great white pine which grew here.  The industry at the present time is general farming.

The small village of Creek View has been built since 1919.  The one cheese factory of Eau Claire County is built here.  There is also a store and a church near by.

Some of the older settlers can remember the old trails and roads of the vicinity.  Many of the trails are now grass grown and often times an old piece of corduroy comes up with the frost when the thaws come in the spring time.

By -- Myrtle Henning, Teacher


Please use this form to search this site:
  Help
Site Search by PicoSearch pico
disclaimer

The WIGenWeb Project logo was designed and provided by Debbie Barrett.



DISCLAIMER:  No claim is made to the copyrights of the individual submitters. The contents of this entire website may be used for personal use only by individuals researching their ancestry. Commercial use of this information for profit is strictly prohibited without prior permission of the owners. Other genealogical websites may link to this website; however, permission is not granted to duplicate any of the contents. Anyone contributing material for posting does so in recognition of its free, non-commercial distribution, as well as the responsibility to assure that no copyright is violated by the submission.  This website and its coordinator are not responsible for donations of copyrighted material where explicit written permission has not been granted for use.

copyright footer


Copyright © 1998 - 2012 wigenwebcc
All Rights Reserved
This website was first established on 28 Jan 1998