Histories > Eau Claire County Historical Accounts >
"Eau Claire County History, 1949"
History of the Cleghorn School District
Cleghorn was named after one of its early settlers Lewis Cleghorn. Other early settlers were Ole Johnson and Christ Saugen.
A railroad was started and run a short time by N. C. Foster.
The St. Paul Lutheran Church, 1 1/2 miles east of Cleghorn, was built 63 years ago. The Zion Lutheran Church was built 52 years ago.
The first store was built by Seidler, who later sold it to A. D. Stone. His son later ran the store until he sold it to Lon Powers. The next and present owner is George Reid.
Another store was built by C. E. Burnie, he sold it to Oscar Backstrom, who owned it a year and sold it to Harry Ryder. The store is now run by Mrs. Ryder. Bill Stolp operated a livery stable.
The present Cleghorn Creamery was built in 1900. The old creamery having burned before this time. Sykler was the first buttermaker.
A bank and dance hall was started by Otto Becker. It was sold to Archie Birtzer who later sold it to Richard Bender, who remodeled it into a tavern and dance hall. This building was destroyed by fire in 1935.
A hardware store stood where the telephone office now stands. The telephone office used to be where Carl Pederson now lives.
The first mail route was started by Orrin Chase, who brought the mail by pony from Brackett until a mail route was started from Eleva.
A blacksmith shop was built in 1916 by William Hennig. It is run as a garage now by his son Gus Hennig.
By -- Grace Hanson, Elvera Nichols, Roger Weiss, Melvin Ruff, Gloria Schmidt and Darlene Henning
to search this site:
The WIGenWeb Project logo was designed and provided by Debbie Barrett.
DISCLAIMER: No claim is made to the copyrights of the individual submitters. The contents of this entire website may be used for personal use only by individuals researching their ancestry. Commercial use of this information for profit is strictly prohibited without prior permission of the owners. Other genealogical websites may link to this website; however, permission is not granted to duplicate any of the contents. Anyone contributing material for posting does so in recognition of its free, non-commercial distribution, as well as the responsibility to assure that no copyright is violated by the submission. This website and its coordinator are not responsible for donations of copyrighted material where explicit written permission has not been granted for use.
Copyright © 1998 - 2012 wigenwebcc
All Rights Reserved
This website was first established on 28 Jan 1998