Eau Claire Co. WIGenWeb what's new tools photos histories databases home
Histories >  Eau Claire County Historical Accounts >

"History of Eau Claire County Wisconsin, 1914, Past and Present"


Chapter  40 - Hotels of Eau Claire

The Northwestern Hotel

(-as transcribed from page 548)

When first erected this building was named the Northwestern Hotel and then for a period was known as the Chandler House, and later the Central House. It stood opposite where the City Hall is now located, on the end of the block bounded on the north by Eau Claire street, on the east by Farwell street and south by Gibson street. The building was erected by William Ulrich, who had located in Eau Claire in 1854 and for a time was a millwright. Later he opened the first bakery in the village and then engaged in the hotel business. his son, George W. Ulrich, is claimed to have been the first white male child born in Eau Claire. A daughter, the wife of Hon. Horace E. Edgell, former mayor of Altoona, resides in that city. Mrs. Ulrich makes her home with Mrs. Edgell. Mr. Ulrich died April 14, 1891, after a long, honorable and useful career.

The Northwestern Hotel was erected in the summer of 1860 and managed by Mr. Ulrich himself. For a short time early in 1862 the business was run by Morsbach and Hauk. In the fall of 1862 Chauncy Chandler leased the property and changed the name to the Chandler House. He took the business with twenty-five years' experience as a hotel man and proved himself a popular and successful landlord. November 30, 1862, the Chandler House tendered a banquet to all soldiers in the town, including those discharged as well as those on furlough.

Mr. Chandler vacated the premises on December 21, 1867, when he removed to his own building, which he had erected near the corner of Barstow and Ferry streets. The name was transferred to the new house and Mr. Ulrich's property was renamed by him Central House.

The business was continued under Mr. Ulrich's management until the destruction of the building by fire in June, 1871.

Please use this form to search this site:
  Help
Site Search by PicoSearch pico
disclaimer

The WIGenWeb Project logo was designed and provided by Debbie Barrett.



DISCLAIMER:  No claim is made to the copyrights of the individual submitters. The contents of this entire website may be used for personal use only by individuals researching their ancestry. Commercial use of this information for profit is strictly prohibited without prior permission of the owners. Other genealogical websites may link to this website; however, permission is not granted to duplicate any of the contents. Anyone contributing material for posting does so in recognition of its free, non-commercial distribution, as well as the responsibility to assure that no copyright is violated by the submission.  This website and its coordinator are not responsible for donations of copyrighted material where explicit written permission has not been granted for use.

copyright footer


Copyright © 1998 - 2012 wigenwebcc
All Rights Reserved
This website was first established on 28 Jan 1998