Eau Claire Co. WIGenWeb what's new tools photos histories databases home
Histories >  Eau Claire County Historical Accounts >

"History of Eau Claire County Wisconsin, 1914, Past and Present"

Chapter  40 - Hotels of Eau Claire

The Joyce House

(-as transcribed from pages 551 - 552)

The Joyce House was established in the seventies by Pierce Joyce, one of the early settlers in Eau Claire. It was located at the northeast corner of what is now the intersection of Grand avenue east and River street. It was a large frame building. Mr. Joyce conducted the house himself for some years and it was well patronized by the traveling public. Mr. Joyce, in the sixties, for several years was roadmaster of the village of Eau Claire and some of the principal streets of this day were first opened under his supervision. In 1873-1874 he served as an alderman for the Second Ward. For some years he was engaged in the meat market business with his brother. He was a man of sterling qualities and loved and respected by all who knew him. After his retirement from the active management of the hotel it was run for four years under the management of James C. Quigg.

Please use this form to search this site:
Site Search by PicoSearch pico

The WIGenWeb Project logo was designed and provided by Debbie Barrett.

DISCLAIMER:  No claim is made to the copyrights of the individual submitters. The contents of this entire website may be used for personal use only by individuals researching their ancestry. Commercial use of this information for profit is strictly prohibited without prior permission of the owners. Other genealogical websites may link to this website; however, permission is not granted to duplicate any of the contents. Anyone contributing material for posting does so in recognition of its free, non-commercial distribution, as well as the responsibility to assure that no copyright is violated by the submission.  This website and its coordinator are not responsible for donations of copyrighted material where explicit written permission has not been granted for use.

copyright footer

Copyright © 1998 - 2012 wigenwebcc
All Rights Reserved
This website was first established on 28 Jan 1998