Eau Claire Co. WIGenWeb what's new tools photos histories databases home
Histories >  Eau Claire County Historical Accounts >

"History of Eau Claire County Wisconsin, 1914, Past and Present"


Chapter  40 - Hotels of Eau Claire

The Chandler House

(-as transcribed from page 549)

In 1862 Chauncy Chandler rented from William Ulrich the hotel building on Farwell street, between Eau Claire and Gibson street. It had been known as the Northwestern Hotel, but Mr. Chandler changed the name to the Chandler House. He continued this hotel until his own building on what is now Grand avenue, between Barstow and River streets, was completed.

On May 24, 1866, he purchased from Charles Lee the lots and buildings and erected a three-story hotel building. The building was on Ferry street, afterwards called Kelsey street, and now Grand avenue east, about fifty feet west of the corner of Barstow street and Grand avenue. The Eau Claire National Bank building and Kepler Company's store cover the site. No buildings excepting the hotel barns were between the hotel and the river. December 21, 1867, Mr. Chandler moved in and the formal opening took place on January 1, 1868, with a grand party and ball.

A cafe in the basement was run by George Lang, who served both solid and liquid refreshments. In the spring of 1869 the Chandler House, together with a number of other buildings in the same block, were destroyed by fire. The hotel was not rebuilt.

The Chandler House, in both its locations, held an important position in the town and was the center of social and political activity.

Please use this form to search this site:
  Help
Site Search by PicoSearch pico
disclaimer

The WIGenWeb Project logo was designed and provided by Debbie Barrett.



DISCLAIMER:  No claim is made to the copyrights of the individual submitters. The contents of this entire website may be used for personal use only by individuals researching their ancestry. Commercial use of this information for profit is strictly prohibited without prior permission of the owners. Other genealogical websites may link to this website; however, permission is not granted to duplicate any of the contents. Anyone contributing material for posting does so in recognition of its free, non-commercial distribution, as well as the responsibility to assure that no copyright is violated by the submission.  This website and its coordinator are not responsible for donations of copyrighted material where explicit written permission has not been granted for use.

copyright footer


Copyright © 1998 - 2012 wigenwebcc
All Rights Reserved
This website was first established on 28 Jan 1998