Eau Claire Co. WIGenWeb what's new tools photos histories databases home
Histories >  Eau Claire County Historical Accounts >

"History of Eau Claire County Wisconsin, 1914, Past and Present"


Chapter  38 - Eau Claire Churches

Universalist Church

(-as transcribed from pages 517 - 518)
 

Late in the Fall of 1858 Mrs. Edwin Wilkins issued a card of invitation to all Universalists, and other liberally inclined religious people of Eau Claire, to meet at her residence and confer upon the subject of their religious welfare and advancement. It was responded to beautifully, and resulted in the organization of a Universalist sociable to meet once a week, with the ultimate object of establishing a Universalist church. In July, 1859, the Rev. Dolphus Skinner, of Utica, New York, visited his son, Dr. F. R. Skinner, and held divine service at Reed's Hall on Sunday morning, and in the afternoon on the West Side. The sociables were well sustained and contributions accumulated until there was a handsome sum in the treasury. Rev. Joseph O. Barrett was in February, 1860, engaged to minister to the spiritual needs of the congregation. Building lots were soon purchased and an exchange made with the second school district for its building and the lot on which it stood, next to Christ church. The organization was considered to be prosperous, but dissensions arose, and many of the influential supporters removed to other localities, until at last nothing was left but the building. Rev. J. O. Barrett afterward became the principal of the East Side school and wrote a very interesting history of "Old Abe," the famous eagle which followed the Eighth Wisconsin regiment through the war.

Please use this form to search this site:
  Help
Site Search by PicoSearch pico
disclaimer

The WIGenWeb Project logo was designed and provided by Debbie Barrett.



DISCLAIMER:  No claim is made to the copyrights of the individual submitters. The contents of this entire website may be used for personal use only by individuals researching their ancestry. Commercial use of this information for profit is strictly prohibited without prior permission of the owners. Other genealogical websites may link to this website; however, permission is not granted to duplicate any of the contents. Anyone contributing material for posting does so in recognition of its free, non-commercial distribution, as well as the responsibility to assure that no copyright is violated by the submission.  This website and its coordinator are not responsible for donations of copyrighted material where explicit written permission has not been granted for use.

copyright footer


Copyright © 1998 - 2012 wigenwebcc
All Rights Reserved
This website was first established on 28 Jan 1998