Eau Claire Co. WIGenWeb what's new tools photos histories databases home
Histories >  Eau Claire County Historical Accounts >

"History of Eau Claire County Wisconsin, 1914, Past and Present"


Chapter  38 - Eau Claire Churches

The Swedish Lutheran Immanual Church

(-as transcribed from pages 521 - 522)
 

The first Swedish people who came to Eau Claire were Nels Gustaf Anderson and his sister, who came here in 1856. After that time a few settled down here from time to time. In 1876 Rev. J. Magny from Svea, Minnesota, visited our city and found a few Swedish families and conducted services now and then until 1883, when he organized the present congregation. Rev. J. B. Nedberg, at that time a student from our school at Rock Island, Illinois, took up the church work and continued it for some time. In 1886 Mr. Nordstrom started a subscription to raise funds for the erection of the church building and succeeded so well that the work of erection was begun in the summer and completed in 1887. Rev. P. Norstrom was the first ordained and duly called pastor of the church, remaining here two years — 1887 and 1889. After him came Rev. C. A. Bar, who worked faithfully as pastor of the church for a period of nine years from 1890 to 1899, and was succeeded by Rev. A. A. Jacobson, who labored very faithfully for two years. Then Rev. C. O. Lundquist was called to take charge and remained over four years. In 1909 Rev. Julius C. Lorimer, the present pastor, entered on his duties as pastor. The congregation has a good church; parsonage and Luther hall, valued at $10,500, free of debt. The church numbers 350 members, has two Sunday schools, a Ladies' Aid, Men's Society Dorcas Society, Luther League and Young Peoples Society.

Please use this form to search this site:
  Help
Site Search by PicoSearch pico
disclaimer

The WIGenWeb Project logo was designed and provided by Debbie Barrett.



DISCLAIMER:  No claim is made to the copyrights of the individual submitters. The contents of this entire website may be used for personal use only by individuals researching their ancestry. Commercial use of this information for profit is strictly prohibited without prior permission of the owners. Other genealogical websites may link to this website; however, permission is not granted to duplicate any of the contents. Anyone contributing material for posting does so in recognition of its free, non-commercial distribution, as well as the responsibility to assure that no copyright is violated by the submission.  This website and its coordinator are not responsible for donations of copyrighted material where explicit written permission has not been granted for use.

copyright footer


Copyright © 1998 - 2012 wigenwebcc
All Rights Reserved
This website was first established on 28 Jan 1998