Eau Claire Co. WIGenWeb what's new tools photos histories databases home
Histories >  Eau Claire County Historical Accounts >

"History of Eau Claire County Wisconsin, 1914, Past and Present"


Chapter  38 - Eau Claire Churches

St. Mary's Roman Catholic Congregation


(-as transcribed from pages 534 - 535)
 

St. Mary's Roman Catholic Congregation, of Altoona, Wisconsin, was founded in 1892, as a mission of St. Patrick's Church, Eau Claire, attended first by Rev. Father T. A. Kelley, and after his death, by the Rev. Father A. B. C. Dunn, up to 1903. In that year Rev. L. J. Vaughan was appointed pastor, serving four years. He established a parochial school and also equipped the school for the work of the 8th grade, likewise introduced a four-years' course of high school studies. In 1907 Rev. H. P. Toeller was appointed pastor of the congregation, with missions at Augusta and Rock Falls. He rearranged the schools to accommodate boarders as well as day scholars under the supervision of eleven sisters of St. Benedict of St. Joseph, Minnesota. The high school is affiliated with the universities of Wisconsin and Minnesota. The school property comprises one square block, valued with equipments at $25,000.00. A parsonage was erected on a separate lot in 1901, at a cost of $3,200.00. The congregation has a membership of thirty families, or one hundred and twenty souls; the school has an attendance of 90 pupils, about one-half of which are from surrounding territory. St. Mary's Altar Society is the only society connected with the congregation, who take charge of and pay all expenses of the altar, and the furnishing of the parsonage.


Please use this form to search this site:
  Help
Site Search by PicoSearch pico
disclaimer

The WIGenWeb Project logo was designed and provided by Debbie Barrett.



DISCLAIMER:  No claim is made to the copyrights of the individual submitters. The contents of this entire website may be used for personal use only by individuals researching their ancestry. Commercial use of this information for profit is strictly prohibited without prior permission of the owners. Other genealogical websites may link to this website; however, permission is not granted to duplicate any of the contents. Anyone contributing material for posting does so in recognition of its free, non-commercial distribution, as well as the responsibility to assure that no copyright is violated by the submission.  This website and its coordinator are not responsible for donations of copyrighted material where explicit written permission has not been granted for use.

copyright footer


Copyright © 1998 - 2012 wigenwebcc
All Rights Reserved
This website was first established on 28 Jan 1998