Eau Claire Co. WIGenWeb what's new tools photos histories databases home
Histories >  Eau Claire County Historical Accounts >

"History of Eau Claire County Wisconsin, 1914, Past and Present"


Chapter  38 - Eau Claire Churches

Second Methodist Episcopal Church


(-as transcribed from page 533)
 

The regular services of this organization were, during the first years of its existence, held in what was then known as the Seminary building, located on the site of the present high school. They began in 1860. The Rev. W. A. Chambers was the first pastor. Early in 1870 the efforts of Rev. A. J. Davis, the then pastor, seconded by his successor, Rev. E. E. Clough, to raise the necessary funds for the erection of a church structure were so encouraging that on September 19 of that year the corner stone of a large and beautiful edifice was laid. The Rt. Rev. Bishop Fallows officiated. The building was constructed of wood and veneered with brick, with a handsomely decorated interior. It is located on Fourth avenue and Lake street, and is known as Lake Street Methodist Episcopal Church. The total cost was $15,000, and was dedicated September 15, 1872, the Rt. Rev. Bishop Haven conducting the services.

In this church, the annual conferences of 1872, 1877, and 1884 were held. The Rev. M. B. Balch was the pastor during 1874 and 1875. He was succeeded by Rev. William Hamilton, who served one year, then Rev. "W. J. McKay was the next appointee. He remained three years and was followed by Rev. John Tresidder, who served for a similar period. His successor was Rev. A. M. Pilcher, whose pastorate continued for three years, 1883, 1884 and 1885. Rev. H. Goodsall, came to the church in 1886, and remained until 1891, and was succeeded by Rev. M. Benson.

In 1893 Rev. Geo. W. Case was assigned to the church and remained till 1898. Rev. P. W. Straw from 1898 to 1901. Rev. Geo. Merrifield, 1901 to 1903. Rev. E. A. McKinney, one year and 6 months. Rev. E. Harris, 1905-8. Rev. G. W. Campbell, 1908-12. Rev. F. L. Roberts, 1912-4. The parsonage was burned in 1884 and the church records were destroyed. A new and commodious parsonage was recently completed adjoining the church. The membership in 1886 was 162, in 1914, 288.


Please use this form to search this site:
  Help
Site Search by PicoSearch pico
disclaimer

The WIGenWeb Project logo was designed and provided by Debbie Barrett.



DISCLAIMER:  No claim is made to the copyrights of the individual submitters. The contents of this entire website may be used for personal use only by individuals researching their ancestry. Commercial use of this information for profit is strictly prohibited without prior permission of the owners. Other genealogical websites may link to this website; however, permission is not granted to duplicate any of the contents. Anyone contributing material for posting does so in recognition of its free, non-commercial distribution, as well as the responsibility to assure that no copyright is violated by the submission.  This website and its coordinator are not responsible for donations of copyrighted material where explicit written permission has not been granted for use.

copyright footer


Copyright © 1998 - 2012 wigenwebcc
All Rights Reserved
This website was first established on 28 Jan 1998