Histories > Eau Claire County Historical Accounts >
"History of Eau Claire County Wisconsin, 1914, Past and Present"
Chapter 38 - Eau Claire Churches
German Evangelical Association
(-as transcribed from page 534)
The first meeting of this denomination held in this city was in 1886, at the Second Congregational Church, when its organization was perfected and Rev. William Pfefferkorn was selected as the first minister. The membership rapidly increased so that a subscription was raised among its wealthy members under the auspices of Rev. Charles F. Finger, Mr. Pfefferkorn's successor to the pastorate. A lot was purchased on Babcock and Beach streets, and the church built in 1887. It was a frame structure, thirty-two by fifty-two feet, with a seating capacity of 300. Mr. Finger continued in charge of the pastorate until the spring of 1890, when he was succeeded on May 1, by Rev. William Kaun, who served until 1892 and was succeeded by Rev. H. E. Erffmeyer.
The following ministers, given in the order of their succession, served from one to five years:
Rev. E. W. Gassman, Rev. Wm. Pfefferkorn, Rev. F. Dite, Rev. F. Reichert, Rev. C. F. Werner, Rev. John Schneller, Rev. H. A. Franzke, Rev. G. J. Pfefferkorn, and Rev. E. S. Zimmerman, the present incumbent.
The language question which has confronted churches in the Services of which the Mother Tongues have been used, has been amicably settled.
For some years the Sunday school has been conducted in the English language, as well as the Sunday evening services.
to search this site:
The WIGenWeb Project logo was designed and provided by Debbie Barrett.
DISCLAIMER: No claim is made to the copyrights of the individual submitters. The contents of this entire website may be used for personal use only by individuals researching their ancestry. Commercial use of this information for profit is strictly prohibited without prior permission of the owners. Other genealogical websites may link to this website; however, permission is not granted to duplicate any of the contents. Anyone contributing material for posting does so in recognition of its free, non-commercial distribution, as well as the responsibility to assure that no copyright is violated by the submission. This website and its coordinator are not responsible for donations of copyrighted material where explicit written permission has not been granted for use.
Copyright © 1998 - 2012 wigenwebcc
All Rights Reserved
This website was first established on 28 Jan 1998