Eau Claire Co. WIGenWeb what's new tools photos histories databases home
Histories >  Eau Claire County Historical Accounts >

"History of Eau Claire County Wisconsin, 1914, Past and Present"


Chapter  38 - Eau Claire Churches

The First Norwegian Evangelical Lutheran Church

(-as transcribed from pages 522 - 523)
 

The First Norwegian Evangelical Lutheran Church, of Eau Claire, was organized February 1, 1864, with a congregation of twenty-one heads of families or about fifty souls. The first pastor was Rev. L. Norem, of Elk Mound, who held occasional services in a small school house on the corner of Barstow and Wisconsin streets, until the winter of 1865, when Rev. Ammon Johnson, of the Springfield (Illinois) Theological Seminary, was installed as settled pastor. A school house was built and used as a church in 1868 on the lot where the church now stands on Hudson street and Fifth avenue. In 1869 Mr. J. G. Thorp donated a lot on the corner of Wisconsin and Dewey streets, and a church building was finished and dedicated in 1873. The congregation at that time felt the need of a parochial school for their children, and Robert Sather, afterward county clerk of the county, took charge of it and did successful work for nine years. As membership grew those on the west side decided that they should have a building of their own for divine service. The funds were raised, the school house was removed and sold, and in its place a church was built in 1872. After eleven years of successful labor, and witnessing the prosperous growth of the church he had established, Mr. Johnson was called to Aurelia, Iowa. Rev. J. Hoyme was called from Menomonie in 1876, and was pastor until 1894, and president of the church at large until his death in 1902. On January 1, 1894, the Rev. Peder Tangjerd succeeded and is still in charge. The membership is over two thousand, an increase of over 600 since 1894. This is the oldest Norwegian congregation in Eau Claire county, and is in a flourishing condition. On January 4, 1910, a new church called Grace English Lutheran Congregation was organized by the English speaking members of the First Lutheran Evangelical church.

Please use this form to search this site:
  Help
Site Search by PicoSearch pico
disclaimer

The WIGenWeb Project logo was designed and provided by Debbie Barrett.



DISCLAIMER:  No claim is made to the copyrights of the individual submitters. The contents of this entire website may be used for personal use only by individuals researching their ancestry. Commercial use of this information for profit is strictly prohibited without prior permission of the owners. Other genealogical websites may link to this website; however, permission is not granted to duplicate any of the contents. Anyone contributing material for posting does so in recognition of its free, non-commercial distribution, as well as the responsibility to assure that no copyright is violated by the submission.  This website and its coordinator are not responsible for donations of copyrighted material where explicit written permission has not been granted for use.

copyright footer


Copyright © 1998 - 2012 wigenwebcc
All Rights Reserved
This website was first established on 28 Jan 1998