Eau Claire Co. WIGenWeb what's new tools photos histories databases home
Histories >  Eau Claire County Historical Accounts >

"History of Eau Claire County Wisconsin, 1914, Past and Present"


Chapter  36 

The Eau Claire Street Railroad and Interurban Lines

(-as transcribed from pages 497 - 498)


The Eau Claire Street Railway Company was organized and began running cars in 1879.  These were horse cars, but after a time mules were also used.  The road ran from Shawtown to the Omaha depot and followed the same streets it occupies today, except for a few months, when the present bridge over the Chippewa river was being constructed, when it continued up the west side to Madison street and crossed the Madison street bridge.  Also for a time it ran up Galloway street on the north side instead of Madison street, as it does today.  J. R. Harrigan was the first superintendent and did much to keep up the efficiency of the road.  One winter, in the early eighties, when the snow prevented the use of wheels, he ran sleighs over the Third ward line to keep up the service.  He is still engaged in railway work.  He was succeeded by Mr. Lawrence, the present efficient superintendent.  In 1887 the electric system was installed under the old Sprague company.  It was one of the pioneer electric railways in the United States, only three or four antedating it.  In 1897 the road was purchased by Arthur E. Appleyard, and, on March 1, 1898, the Chippewa Valley Electric Railway Company was organized with a capital of $400,000, which was increased to $600,000.  That company built the road to Chippewa Falls.  In October, 1905, the Chippewa Valley Electric Railway Company and the Eau Claire Light & Power Company were purchased by O. H. Ingram and his associates.  The latter company came into existence in 1897.

Owing to the development of business the Chippewa Valley Railway Light and Power Company was organized in 1907 with a capital stock of one million dollars and a bond issue of two millions.  They purchased the water power at Cedar Falls from the Wisconsin Power Company in 1907, and in 1909 the line was constructed from Menomonie to Eau Claire.  Later it was extended to Lake City and Wabasha.  In 1910 a fifty-foot concrete dame was built at Cedar Falls, having 14,000 horsepower.  In February, 1910, the capital stock of the company was increased to two million dollars.  In 1911 the water works, electric plant and gas works at Cedar Falls were purchased, and in July of that year the electric lighting plant at Menomonie was bought.  In that year also the transmission line to Altoona was constructed and sites for a lighting plant were purchased on the Chippewa river.  Cars began running to Altoona in 1914.  In 1913 the company secured the Spring Valley & Ellsworth lighting plant and in 1914 the Elmwood lighting plant was purchased.

In June, 1914, the Chippewa Valley Railway, Light & Power Company was absorbed by the Wisconsin-Minnesota Light & Power Company.  This company has a capital of five million preferred stock and five million common stock, with an authorized bonded debt of twenty millions.  Mr. Albert E. Pierce is vice-president and general manager of the railroad system under the Wisconsin-Minnesota Company.

Please use this form to search this site:
  Help
Site Search by PicoSearch pico
disclaimer

The WIGenWeb Project logo was designed and provided by Debbie Barrett.



DISCLAIMER:  No claim is made to the copyrights of the individual submitters. The contents of this entire website may be used for personal use only by individuals researching their ancestry. Commercial use of this information for profit is strictly prohibited without prior permission of the owners. Other genealogical websites may link to this website; however, permission is not granted to duplicate any of the contents. Anyone contributing material for posting does so in recognition of its free, non-commercial distribution, as well as the responsibility to assure that no copyright is violated by the submission.  This website and its coordinator are not responsible for donations of copyrighted material where explicit written permission has not been granted for use.

copyright footer


Copyright © 1998 - 2012 wigenwebcc
All Rights Reserved
This website was first established on 28 Jan 1998