Histories > Eau Claire County Historical Accounts >
"History of Eau Claire County Wisconsin, 1914, Past and Present"
Chapter 34 - Eau Claire Industries
The Paper & Pulp Industry
(-as transcribed from page 487)
The Paper & Pulp Industry. This industry had its inception in Eau Claire in 1882, in which year it was incorporated as the Eau Claire Pulp & Paper, and was formed by citizens of the city of Eau Claire. Its officers were H. H. Hayden, president; William Carson, vice-president; S. H. Wilcox, secretary and C. F. Mayhew, treasurer.
In 1890 the mill was giving employment to about forty men, but soon thereafter passed into the hands of a receivership. In 1894 this property was purchased by O. H. Ingram and the present company, The Dells Paper & Pulp Company, was organized with a capital of $75,000, and was officered as follows: President David K. Davis, Vice-president O. H. Ingram, Secretary C. A. Chamberlin, Treasurer C. H. Ingram. This new company thoroughly remodelled the plant in the fall of 1894, at which time the capacity of the mill was about 60,000 lbs. per day of 24 hours. The plant has since that time been enlarged and improved, until the average per day now is approximately 170,000 lbs. In 1900 the Ingram interest was sold to the Davis Brothers. The company employs between 350 and 400 hands, and the pay roll amounts to about $250,000 per year. The capital of this company was increased July 31, 1894, to $125,000; Febuary 12, 1895, to $150,000; January 31, 1898, $250,000, and December 31, 1908, to $1,000,000.
In the manufacture of raw materials, that is ground wood pulp and sulphite pulp, about 35,000 cords of pulp wood are used per annum, using Spruce, Hemlock, Balsam, Pine and Poplar. The product of this plant being News Print paper, and Fibre and Manila Wrapping paper.
The present officers of this company are W. L. Davis, president; S. R. Davis, vice-president; J. A. Stilp, secretary; J. T. Joyce, treasurer.
This industry is the largest in the city of Eau Claire, and is in a very flourishing condition.
to search this site:
The WIGenWeb Project logo was designed and provided by Debbie Barrett.
DISCLAIMER: No claim is made to the copyrights of the individual submitters. The contents of this entire website may be used for personal use only by individuals researching their ancestry. Commercial use of this information for profit is strictly prohibited without prior permission of the owners. Other genealogical websites may link to this website; however, permission is not granted to duplicate any of the contents. Anyone contributing material for posting does so in recognition of its free, non-commercial distribution, as well as the responsibility to assure that no copyright is violated by the submission. This website and its coordinator are not responsible for donations of copyrighted material where explicit written permission has not been granted for use.
Copyright © 1998 - 2012 wigenwebcc
All Rights Reserved
This website was first established on 28 Jan 1998