Eau Claire Co. WIGenWeb what's new tools photos histories databases home
Histories >  Eau Claire County Historical Accounts >

"History of Eau Claire County Wisconsin, 1914, Past and Present"


Chapter  34 - Eau Claire Industries

The Linderman Box & Veneer Company

(-as transcribed from pages 479 - 480)


The Linderman Box & Veneer Company, one of the solid manufacturing institutions of Eau Claire, was organized in 1895 by A. T. Linderman, George S. Long, J. T. Barber and D. R. Moon, under the name of Linderman Box & Veneer Company, with an authorized capital of $80,000.  It started business with $40,000 of capital actually invested, which was increased in 1898 to $60,000 and was under the management of A. T. Linderman.  It employed seventy-five men, and manufactured boxes, box shooks and crating lumber.  Its output the first year was 5,000,000 feet of material, valued at $75,000, and the products were sold in the markets of Chicago and the middle west.

In a sale dated January 1, 1902, the old company disposed of its entire capital stock to a new company, consisting of T. J. Wilcox, R. P. Wilcox, George H. Chapman, S. G. Moon and D. R. Moon.  The capital stock was reduced to $40,000 by the new company, which resumed business at the same location.  Since that time the working capital has been increased to $70,000.  the business has assumed such large proportions that form one hundred and twenty-five to one hundred and fifty people are constantly employed.  T. J. Wilcox, who has been with the company since it began operations in 1896, has the active management of the institution, whose annual output is now about 12,000,000 feet of box lumber valued at $265,000.  A ready market is found in Cleveland, Chicago, St. Louis, Milwaukee and all principle markets as far west as the Missouri River.  The present officers of the company are:  D. R. Moon, president; T. J. Wilcox, vice-president and manager; George H. Chapman, secretary and treasurer.

The company was organized by Mr. Linderman with the idea of using the refuse from the sawmills which went into the burners for the manufacture of boxes.  He had invented machines for handling and working this material, and it was with the idea of utilizing these machines that the company was started.  The machine for sorting this material to length and width, as it comes from the mills, is in use by several box factories, with various alterations adapted to the several plants.

The sorter in use at the above plant is practically as he designed it, with minor refinements which developed with time.  Mr. Linderman left the company in 1900 to devote his energies to the manufacture of a machine for matching and gluing narrow strips automatically, which is in almost universal use among furniture manufacturers of today.

Please use this form to search this site:
  Help
Site Search by PicoSearch pico
disclaimer

The WIGenWeb Project logo was designed and provided by Debbie Barrett.



DISCLAIMER:  No claim is made to the copyrights of the individual submitters. The contents of this entire website may be used for personal use only by individuals researching their ancestry. Commercial use of this information for profit is strictly prohibited without prior permission of the owners. Other genealogical websites may link to this website; however, permission is not granted to duplicate any of the contents. Anyone contributing material for posting does so in recognition of its free, non-commercial distribution, as well as the responsibility to assure that no copyright is violated by the submission.  This website and its coordinator are not responsible for donations of copyrighted material where explicit written permission has not been granted for use.

copyright footer


Copyright © 1998 - 2012 wigenwebcc
All Rights Reserved
This website was first established on 28 Jan 1998