Eau Claire Co. WIGenWeb what's new tools photos histories databases home
Histories >  Eau Claire County Historical Accounts >

"History of Eau Claire County Wisconsin, 1914, Past and Present"


Chapter  31 - Societies and Clubs

The Philharmonic Society of Eau Claire

(-as transcribed from pages 449 - 450)


The Eau Claire Philharmonic Society was established in 1911 by a few enthusiastic spirits whose love for the best in music was inspired and urged on by an indomitable spirit which yielded to no obstacle and overcame all difficulties.  They have seen their efforts crowned with success, for the society now boasts of a chorus of one hundred, an orchestra of thirty, a conductor of acknowledged ability and the best of financial credit, resting as it does upon a foundation composed of the very best citizens, whose faith and appreciation are proven by generous yearly donations.  The objects of the society are first to educate the tastes of the young people of the city through practice and studies under a competent conductor in the best music.  Second to give the public the benefit of this study through public musicals and yearly festivals, and third, to bring to our city better musical attractions and musicians than would come were there no such society here.  These hopes have been realized even in the brief life of the society thus far, and the future will develop this prediction with a great certainty of achievement.  Three annual May festivals have been held and these have become a yearly event, looked forward to with keenest anticipation and attended  by the citizens of this and surrounding cities with every evidence of thorough appreciation.

The greatest material benefit aside from the bringing of musicians to our city of a higher grade in rank than might otherwise come is in the musical advantages given our young people and the incentive given for the higher and better things in the world of music.  The outlook for the future of the society is most encouraging, its members will be recruited from the many schools of the city, and a large, permanent membership is assured.  The ordinary citizen is slow to awake to a realization of the advantages and benefits from the best music and a musical education, but those awake to these things realize the immense importance of this society to our city, both from a civic and social standpoint.  It furnishes an outlet for the superabundant life of our young people, and is a constant uplift to a higher plane of life and living.  The officers of the society are:  F. H. Graham, president; C. Midelfart, vice-president; Mildred Henry, secretary; R. Westlund, treasurer, and Edwin Howard, conductor.  The directors are F. H. Graham, C. Midelfart, Rev. H. M. Thompson and C. W. Lockwood.

Please use this form to search this site:
  Help
Site Search by PicoSearch pico
disclaimer

The WIGenWeb Project logo was designed and provided by Debbie Barrett.



DISCLAIMER:  No claim is made to the copyrights of the individual submitters. The contents of this entire website may be used for personal use only by individuals researching their ancestry. Commercial use of this information for profit is strictly prohibited without prior permission of the owners. Other genealogical websites may link to this website; however, permission is not granted to duplicate any of the contents. Anyone contributing material for posting does so in recognition of its free, non-commercial distribution, as well as the responsibility to assure that no copyright is violated by the submission.  This website and its coordinator are not responsible for donations of copyrighted material where explicit written permission has not been granted for use.

copyright footer


Copyright © 1998 - 2012 wigenwebcc
All Rights Reserved
This website was first established on 28 Jan 1998