Eau Claire Co. WIGenWeb what's new tools photos histories databases home
Histories >  Eau Claire County Historical Accounts >

"History of Eau Claire County Wisconsin, 1914, Past and Present"


Chapter  17 - The Medical Fraternity 

Background of Physicians

(-as transcribed from pages 318 - 344)

The following physicians served the Eau Claire Co. area.  Names have been alphabetized for easier viewing.  References are given below each bio.  You will find some of these biographies are listed with an asterisk (*) following the name.  To fully understand the meaning of these asterisks please be sure to read the "Publisher's Note".

ALLEN, W. W. Dr.
ARNSON, Julius O. MD*
ASHUM, David W. MD
BAIRD, Joseph C. MD*
CHASE, Clinton Straw Dr.

CHASE, Ralph Rollin MD
CLANCY, William J. MD*
COOK, Frederick Sutton MD
DAY, Dwight W. Dr.
DAY, Henry Dr.
DAY, W. W. Dr.
DERGE, Herman F. MD
FARR, Edwin J. MD
FARR, John F. MD*
FLYNN, Leo. H. MD*
FRISBIE, Robert L. MD*
FULTON, Hiram A. MD
GALLOWAY, W. T. Dr.
GODDARD, James Bell MD*
HAHN, Albert F. MD
HAMILTON, George F. MD
HAYES, Edward Patrick MD*
HAYES, Edward S. MD
HOGEBOOM, Charles E. MD
KETCHUM, Dr.
LEAVENS, Dolenna Carlos MD
LYMAN, John Van Reed MD
MASON, Everett L. MD
MATHIESEN, John B. MD
McKITTRICK, Peter MD
MIDELFART, Christian H. U. MD
MITCHELL, Roy E. MD
MONTGOMERY, John Lawrence MD*
MONTGOMERY, William MD
MORGAN, Henry G. MD
NOBLE, James H. Dr.
PARKER, Edward H. Dr.
PAYNE, Arthur L. MD
PRILL, Herman Frederick MD*
SEEMANN, William O. MD
SELBACH, Joseph J. MD
SIZER, Elmer M. A. MD
SKINNER, F. R. MD
THRANE, Arthur Dr. MD
TUPPER, Eugene E.
WERNER, Richard F. MD*
WINTER, Ephraim H. MD*
YOUNG, William

+++++

Dr. W. W. Allen came to Eau Claire in the spring of 1857, and with George W. Sanford opened the first shanty store in the village located on the banks of the Chippewa.  Dr. Allen left Eau Claire with Captain Wheeler's company in the fall of 1863, and on the reorganization of the Second Wisconsin Regiment was appointed assistant surgeon.  He continued with the regiment until mustered out at the close of the war and then settled at Mason City, Iowa, where he died and was buried on June 20, 1878.

-Transcribed from the "History of Eau Claire County Wisconsin, 1914," page 319

+++++

Julius O. Arnson, M. D.,* was born in this city July 3, 1888, a son of Martin and Johanna (Eck) Arnson, both of whom were born in Norway but reared in Eau Claire, where they married and where the father has been connected with the R. J. Kepler Company for about twenty years.  Mr. and Mrs. Arnson have a family of three children:  Julius O., the subject of this sketch; Anna, now Mrs. F. W. Anderson, and J. Martin.

Raised in Eau Claire, Dr. Arnson acquired his primary education in the public schools of the city, which was supplemented by a thorough course at the Wisconsin University.  He obtained his medical education at the Northwestern University Medical College in Chicago, from which he was graduated with the class of 1911.  After spending a year and a half as interne in the hospitals of Chicago and Minneapolis, he located at Osseo, Wis., in 1912.  In May 1913, he went to Minneapolis, Minn., remaining in practice there until January 1, 1914, when he returned to Eau Claire, associated with Dr. E. E. Tupper, practicing with him until he moved to Kimball, Minn.  He is a member of the Eau Claire County Medical Society, the Wisconsin State Medical Society, and the American Medical Association, and the Oseo [sic] Lodge, No. 213, Free and Accepted Masons.

-Transcribed from the "History of Eau Claire County Wisconsin, 1914," page 340

+++++

David W. Ashum, M.D.  Standing prominent among the medical profession of Eau Claire county is Dr. David W. Ashum, who was born in Findley, Ohio, January 18, 1854.  His parents were John and Fannie (French) Ashum, natives of Virginia and descended from German and English ancestry.  The father was a farmer by occupation, and both parents were of fine sensibilities, high minded, cultured tastes, of refined manner and charming personality, and were highly esteemed for their sterling qualities of mind and heart, and many blessings followed them for their acts of charity to those in need.  They both died when Dr. Ashum was a small boy.

The early education of Dr. Ashum was principally received in Michigan.  He became interested in the study of medicine and applied himself arduously to it under the preceptorship of Dr. John A. Waterhouse, an eminent physician of Bay City, Michigan.  He entered the Eclectic Medical Institute at Cincinnati, Ohio, and graduated with the class of 1881.  He commenced his practice at Bay City, Mich., and at the end of one year he removed to Stevens Point, Wisconsin, where he organized a lumberman's hospital, under the name of the Michigan and Wisconsin Hospital Company.  In the spring of 1883 he removed to Eau Claire and here started another lumberman's hospital, which he conducted for seven years.  He was instrumental in effecting the organization of the American Hospital Aid Association, at Stevens Point, Wausau, Eau Claire and Ashland, Wisconsin, and Minneapolis and Grand Rapids, Minnesota.

As a practitioner Dr. Ashum has been successful.  He has built up a large practice and made many warm friends among all classes of people.  He keeps abreast of the times and is thoroughly up-to-date in the practice of his profession.  In the fall of 1889 he attended the new York Polyclinic, and he holds membership in the National and State Eclectic Medical Societies.  He is a member of the National Union, the Ancient Free and Accepted Masons and the A. O. U. W.

Dr. Ashum was married at Alpena, Michigan, May 17, 1883, to Miss Carrie Harper, daughter of John and Abbie (Milliken) Harper, the former a native of New Brunswick, and the latter of Maine, both descended from Scotch ancestry.

Alexander Harper, father of John Harper, was born in Aberdeen, Scotland, and came to the western continent in 1818, first settling at Halifax.  Benjamin Milliken, father of Abbie Harper, was a native of Maine, and served in the War of 1812.  His father, Joel Milliken, was a soldier in the War of the Revolution, and was likely born in this country, being a son of one of three brothers who came from Scotland, and who at one time owned nearly all of the Saco Valley, having purchased it from the Indians.  Dr. and Mrs. Ashum were the parents of two children:  John H. and Maude Harper Ashum.  Mrs. Ashum died March 8, 1911.

-Transcribed from the "History of Eau Claire County Wisconsin, 1914," pages 327 - 328

+++++

Joseph C. Baird, M. D.,* one of the rising young physicians of Eau Claire, whose practice is limited to Roentgenology, was born in McGregor, Iowa, February 1, 1884, to David and Mary (Miller) Baird, natives of Wisconsin and Iowa, respectively, and is of Scotch and Swiss descent.

Dr. Baird was raised in Chicago, Ill., and attended the public schools of that city.  Deciding on a medical career for his life's work, he matriculated with the Hahnemann Medical College, of Chicago, from which institution he graduated with the class of May, 1907, and one year later, in 1908, was graduated from the school of Electro Therapeutics of the same city.  He began the practice of his chosen profession at Prairie du Chien in the spring of 1908, remaining there until September, 1909, when he came to Eau Claire and by his close application has succeeded in building up a large and lucrative practice.

Dr. Baird stands well in the medical profession as well as socially, and is a member of the Eau Claire County Medical Society, the Wisconsin State Medical Society, and the West Wisconsin Medical Society, of which he is at present (1914) secretary, and is also a member of the American Medical Association.  he is connected as Roentgenologist with the Sacred Heart and Luther Hospitals of Eau Claire and the St. Joseph's Hospital of Chippewa Falls.

-Transcribed from the "History of Eau Claire County Wisconsin, 1914," pages 340 - 341

+++++

Dr. Clinton Straw Chase was born May 25, 1831, and came from Springfield, Vermont, to Eau Claire.  He fitted for college at Springfield, Vermont, graduated from Dartmouth College in 1852, studied medicine at Castleton and in New York City, and received his degree of M. D. in 1855.  Practiced two years at Springfield and was in the drug business there and at Detroit, Michigan.  He came to Eau Claire in 1859 and went into the drug business with Dr. Skinner, theirs being the first drug store in the Chippewa Valley.  He died at Detroit about 1899.  October 29, 1869, he married Harriet Eliza Sherwin, of Weathersfield, Vermont, and had three children:  Anna, Alfred and Alice.

-Transcribed from the "History of Eau Claire County Wisconsin, 1914," page 320

+++++

Ralph Rollin Chase, M. D., of Eau Claire, has attaine                           d                 dto a prominent place in the ranks of the medical profession of Eau Claire county.  He was born in Lima, Livingston county, New York, July 4, 1860, a son of Levi C. and Lucy A. (Crouch) Chase, and comes of English ancestry.  Their coat of arms was obtained through Queen Ann, who knighted John Chase, who accompanied her from France as her licentiate or court physician when she returned to England to become queen in 1702.  His father, who was born April 11, 1809, died in 1903, and his mother, who was born December 7, 1817, died April 10, 1891.

Dr. Chase was graduated from the Geneseo College, New York, with the class of 1882.  He later studied medicine in New York City, where he had rare clinical advantages at several hospitals, and was graduated from the medical department of the University of Minnesota in 1889, being valedictorian of his class and prosector.  On April 22, 1889, he located at Eau Claire, where he has since been in the active and successful practice of his profession.  Dr. Chase is a member of the American Medical Association, the Wisconsin State Medical Society and the Eau Claire County Medical Society.  He is a 32nd degree Mason and Shriner, also a member of the Knights of Pythias and the Knights of Hermann, being past dictator and representative of the Grand Lodge of Wisconsin of the last named order.  He is also a member of the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, is medical examiner for the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and the Mutual Benefit Insurance Company of New Jersey.

The Chase family is noted for its longevity and for their preference for the medical profession, the majority of the male members of the family being disciples of Esculapius.  Dr. Chase is a cousin of Drs. Dwight and Henry Day, who successfully practiced their profession in Eau Claire for over thirty years.  Dr. Chase's father died in Eau Claire at the residence of our subject in 1903 at the age of ninety-four years.

Dr. Chase has large real estate holdings in Eau Claire.  He was married June 1, 1908, to Belle, daughter of Lucius V. and Belle (Burdette) Ripley, of Eau Claire.

In addition to the many other prominent positions filled by Dr. Chase, he served as health physician for the city of Eau Claire nine years.

-Transcribed from the "History of Eau Claire County Wisconsin, 1914," pages 328 - 329

+++++

William J. Clancy, M. D.,* of Eau Claire, was born in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, October 25, 1885, son of James and Mary (Schultz) Clancy, and is of Irish, German and French lineage.  He was raised in Milwaukee, receiving his education in the public schools, the Marquette Academy and Marquette college, from which institution he was graduated in 1906 with the degree of A. B.  He then spent two years at the University school of medicine, St. Louis, Mo., and three years in the Medical department of the Marquette college, Milwaukee, where he was graduated in 1911, after which he spent three months as Interne in the St. Mary's Hospital in Duluth, Minnesota.  In the Fall of 1911, he located at Eau Claire, where he has built up a successful practice.  He is a member of the Eau Claire County Medical society, the Wisconsin Medical society and the American Medical association.  He is also a member of the Knights of Columbus and the Catholic church.

-Transcribed from the "History of Eau Claire County Wisconsin, 1914," page 344

+++++

Frederick Sutton Cook, M. D., Eau Claire's well known specialist in diseases of the eye, ear, nose and throat, is the son of Judge William Cook, one of the pioneer jurists of Davenport, Iowa, and Mary (Fletcher) Cook, natives of New York and Derbyshire, England, respectively.

Dr. Cook was born in Davenport, Iowa, July 16, 1880, was reared in that city, receiving his primary education in the public schools.  He afterward entered the Iowa State University College of Medicine, from which he was graduated in 1906 with the degree of M. D.  While attending college he acted as assistant to Professor L. W. Dean, of the university.  He made a special study of diseases of the eye, ear, nose, and throat, and in 1907 came to Eau Claire, where he has since built up a large and lucrative practice in these specializations, and has become well and favorably known.

On September 15, 1909, Dr. Cook was married to Ida Snyder, daughter of Samuel and Mary E. (Brown) Snyder, of Chippewa Falls.  Dr. and Mrs. Cook have one daughter, Mary Elizabeth Cook.  The doctor is a member of the Eau Claire Medical Society, president in 1914 the Wisconsin State Medical Society, West Wisconsin District Medical Society, the American Medical Association, and the Clinical Congress of Surgeons.  He is prominently connected with Eau Claire Lodge, No. 112, Free and Accepted Masons, and of Eau Claire Chapter, No. 36, R. A. M., Eau Claire.  He is also a member of Commandery Knights Templars, a member of Germania Lodge, No. 49, Knights of Pythias, and a member of the Episcopal church.

-Transcribed from the "History of Eau Claire County Wisconsin, 1914," pages 334 - 335

+++++

Dr. Dwight W. Day came to Eau Claire from Elkader, Clinton county, Iowa, in October, 1868, and engaged in the practice of his profession.  He was born in the town of Eagle, Wyoming county, New York, May 14, 1841, and graduated from the Buffalo Medical College February 22, 1861.  He was resident physician in the Buffalo General Hospital and Lying In Hospital, and was surgeon of the One Hundred and Fifty-fourth New York Volunteer Infantry.  He went out as first assistant surgeon, was promoted to surgeon of the regiment and to acting brigade surgeon.  He served three years in the medical department, and then returned to Arcade, New York, where he practiced until 1866, when he moved to Iowa.  His father was a prominent doctor in Eagle, New York.  Dr. Day was a brother of the late Henry Day and a cousin of Dr. R. R. Chase.  He died in 1901 while reading a paper before the Medical Society in Eau Claire, which sudden demise was characteristic of the Day family.  Dr. Day was a good doctor and had many warm friends.

-Transcribed from the "History of Eau Claire County Wisconsin, 1914," page 320

+++++

Dr. Henry Day was born in Eagle, Wyoming county, New York, September 1, 1840.  He was educated in the Buffalo Medical College, graduating in 1860.  He commenced practice at Arcade, remaining there until he came to Wisconsin.  He was in the state in practice with his brother in 1876, and came to Eau Claire in 1881.  Dr. Day was assistant surgeon of the Seventy-eighth New York Volunteer Infantry, and acting surgeon of that regiment for six months during the war.  While his practice here never assumed the proportions that his brother's did, he had a good general practice and was well liked.  He was twice married.  His first wife still lives in her old New York home, while his second wife is matron of the Sparta Home for Dependent Children.

-Transcribed from the "History of Eau Claire County Wisconsin, 1914," page 320

+++++

Dr. W. W. Day was born in the state of New York, came to Eau Claire county in 1858 and settled on a farm between Eau Claire and Chippewa Falls, where he farmed and practiced medicine.  He later came to Eau Claire and practiced his profession until he moved to Walla Walla, Washington, in about 1879, where he died.

-Transcribed from the "History of Eau Claire County Wisconsin, 1914," page 321

+++++

Herman F. Derge, M. D.  Standing prominent among the members of his profession in Eau Claire is Herman F. Derge, a son of Ferdinand and Ida (Schultz) Derge.  Dr. Derge was born in Eau Claire, Wis., August 22, 1883.  His paternal grandparents were Ferdinand and Augusta (Grewe) Derge, of the Province of Brandenburg, Germany, where the father was born January 25, 1855.  He came to America in 1870, locating first in Milwaukee.  In 1875 he engaged in the manufacture of cigars with his brother Julius at Eau Claire, which business he continued until his death, which occurred in 1891.  His wife, mother of our subject, was a native of Milwaukee, and they were the parents of two sons, Herman F. and Ferdinand.  Herman Schultz, maternal grandfather of Dr. Derge, a native of Germany, was a pioneer of the city of Milwaukee and later of Eau Claire, where he settled in 1860.

Dr. Derge was reared in this city, receiving his primary education in the public schools, which was supplemented by a thorough course in the Wisconsin State University at Madison, from which institution he was graduated in 1904 with the degree of Bachelor of Arts.  He then entered the medical department of the Johns Hopkins University at Baltimore, Md., graduating with first honors in the class of 1908.  While at the University of Wisconsin he was elected to the honorary fraternity, Phi Beta Kappa.  At the Johns Hopkins University a similar honor was bestowed upon him when he was made a member of the honorary medical fraternity, Alpha Omega Alpha.  From 1908 to 1910 he practiced as house physician at the Johns Hopkins hospital at Baltimore.  Returning to Eau Claire in 1910, he began practice with Dr. Lyman as a member of the firm of Lyman & Derge, and since 1912 as a member of the firm of Lyman, Derge, and Curtis.

Dr. Derge married September 8, 1909, Miss Margaret Ziegler, daughter of Dr. Charles B. and Jennie (Baker) Ziegler, of Baltimore, Md., and they have two children:  Dorothy and Elizabeth.  Dr. Derge stands high in his profession and in the social life of the community.  He is a member of the Eau Claire County Medical Society, the Wisconsin State Medical Society, the Wisconsin Surgical Society, and the American Medical Association, and is prominently identified with the Masonic fraternity.

-Transcribed from the "History of Eau Claire County Wisconsin, 1914," pages 335 - 336

+++++

Edwin J. Farr, M. D., came to Kenosha in 1855, and the following year removed to Prairie du Sac, Sauk county, and in 1857 to Mauston, Juneau county, and in 1869 to Eau Claire.  He was born at Corinth, Orange county, Vermont, August 24, 1832.  He was educated at Castleton Medical College and graduated in 1851, and practiced at white River Junction, Vermont, until he came to Wisconsin.  He was assistant surgeon of the Second Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry for five months, and with Thirtieth Wisconsin Regiment for nearly three years.  He was post surgeon at Ft. Sully from July, 1863, to October, 1864, and had charge of the prison hospital at Louisville from January to August, 1865.

Dr. Farr was mayor of the city of Eau Claire and railroad surgeon for the Chicago, St. Paul, Minneapolis & Omaha and the Wisconsin & Minnesota Railway Companies.  He was a member of the A. F. & A. M. (Grand High Priest and Grand Master), I. O. O. F. and A. O. U. W.  He was married at White River Junction in January, 1855, to Emily L. Sawyer.  They had two children, twins:  Ewin B. and Emily B., born August 14, 1867.  Dr. Farr died July 10, 1914.

-Transcribed from the "History of Eau Claire County Wisconsin, 1914," page 318

+++++

John F. Farr, M. D.,* of Eau Claire is a son of Rufus and Ellen (Thomas) Farr, and was born at Wellsboro, Pa., March 15, 1862.  His father, who was a native of Vermont, and his mother of Wales, came to Eau Claire in 1879, remaining here two years, whence in 1881 they located at Menomonie, Wis., where the father engaged in the hotel business, conducting the Menomonie House for several years.  He later purchased the Merchants' Hotel, which he carried on until it was destroyed by fire, this being his second misfortune of the kind while a resident of Menomonie.  After the destruction of the Merchants' Hotel, he wet to Hudson, Wis., and there became the proprietor of the Chapin Hall House until 1895, when he retired from active business and returned to Eau Claire, where he died in 1902 at the age of 79 years.  His family consisted of two sons, Frank, who is an attorney at law, occupies a prominent place in the legal profession of Eau Claire, and our subject.

Dr. Farr was reared in Blassburg, Pa., receiving his education in the public schools.  He came to Eau Claire with his parents in 1879 and in 1881 embarked in the drug business with his brother Frank, under the firm name of Farr Brothers, in which business he continued until 1892.  He entered the medical department of Hamlin University, Minneapolis, Minn., graduating therefrom in 1897.  He practiced one year before coming to Eau Claire, and since 1898 has been actively and successfully engaged in the practice of his profession in this city.

On March 23, 1888, Dr. Farr married Miss Anna, daughter of Albert C. Peck, of Eau Claire, by whom he has three children, Ellen, John, and Marion.  The doctor is a member of the Eau Claire County Medical Society, the Wisconsin State Medical Society, and the American Medical Association.  He has been health officer of Eau Claire since 1905.  He is a member of the Masonic fraternity and of the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks.

-Transcribed from the "History of Eau Claire County Wisconsin, 1914," pages 336 - 337

+++++

Leo. H. Flynn, M. D.,* who ranks among the younger class of professional men of Eau Claire, was born in Ohio, December 25, 1882, and is a son of John C. and Mary (Hayes) Flynn, natives of New York and Ireland, respectively.  The paternal grandparents, Patrick and Mary Flynn, came from Ireland to the United States and first located in the State of New York, where John C., father of our subject, was born.  They later moved to Illinois and were among the pioneers of Bloomington, where the grandfather, who was a carpenter by trade, resided until his death.  The father of Dr. Flynn, who is an iron moulder by trade, has resided in Bloomington, Ill., for many years, where he has been engaged in the grocery business for the last fifteen years.

Dr. Flynn was reared in Bloomington where he obtained his primary education in the public and high schools, graduating from the latter in 1903.  He then attended the State Normal school at Normal, Ill., and in 1908 commenced the study of medicine in the medical department of the Northwestern University of Chicago and was graduated in 1912 with the degree of M. D.  He served one year as interne in St. Francis' Hospital in La Crosse, and in July, 1913, came to Eau Claire, where he has since been in active practice.  He is a member of the Eau Claire Medical Society, the Wisconsin State Medical Society, and the American Medical Association.  He is a member of the Knights of Columbus and of the Catholic church.

-Transcribed from the "History of Eau Claire County Wisconsin, 1914," pages 339 - 340

+++++

Robert L. Frisbie, M. D.,* a successful physician and surgeon of Fairchild, this county, was born in Audrain county, Missouri, October 8, 1869, the son of James and Henrietta (Pettibone) Frisbie, both natives of Connecticut, of Scotch-Irish ancestry, and is a direct descendant of Edward Frisbie, who came to America in 1653, settling in New England.

Dr. Frisbie was raised to manhood in this state and received a good education in the public schools.  He began the study of medicine in 1890, and was graduated from the Marion Sims Medical College (now Washington University), St. Louis, Mo., in the class of 1894.  He soon afterward began the practice of medicine at Freeport, Ill., where for five years he was assistant superintendent of the Home for Feeble-minded.  In February, 1907, he located at Fairchild, where he has since carried on a large and successful practice.  He was married on June 17, 1902, to Miss Ida, daughter of Franklin Moore, of Freeport, Ill., and they have one son, Robert.

Dr. Frisbie is a member of the Eau Claire County Medical Society and the State Medical Society, and fraternally is a member of the Masonic Order and the Modern Woodmen of America.  He affiliates with the Presbyterian church, is a republican in politics, and has served two years as member of the Board of Trustees of the village of Fairchild.

-Transcribed from the "History of Eau Claire County Wisconsin, 1914," page 341

+++++

Hiram A. Fulton, M. D., is another one of the progressive and representative medical men of Eau Claire and the son of Marcus and Adelia (Ansley) Fulton, natives of New York state.  Coming from Geneva, New York, to Hudson, Wisconsin, in the early sixties, the father embarked in the real estate business and was one of the prominent and influential business men of that place, where he resided until his death at the age of fifty-eight years.

Dr. Fulton was born November 23, 1877, at Hudson, Wisconsin.  He was educated in the public schools of that place and the McAllister College at St. Paul, Minnesota, and received his medical education at the Marquette College, in Milwaukee.  Entering the medical department of last named institution in 1897 he was graduated in 1901 and in June of the same year located at Eau Claire, where he has since succeeded in building up a large and growing practice.  On November 5, 1902, he was united in marriage with Miss Jeannette Putnam, daughter of Samuel and Caroline (Baleom) Putnam, of Eau Claire.  To this union has been born one daughter - Frances C.

Dr. Fulton is a member of the Eau Claire County Medical Society and the Wisconsin State Medical Society.  He is a Royal Arch Mason, stands high with the medical profession of the city and is much esteemed for his social qualities.

-Transcribed from the "History of Eau Claire County Wisconsin, 1914," pages 324 - 325

+++++

Dr. W. T. Galloway was born in Ogdensburg, St. Lawrence county, New York, April 15, 1822, and graduated from Castleton Medical College at Castleton, Vermont.  He began practice in 1850.  He went to Fond du Lac in 1851, remaining there until he came to Eau Claire in 1857.  He was appointed register of the United States land office, and held that position until 1861.  He served six years as alderman of Eau Claire, was supervisor three years when Eau Claire was a village, and six years after it became a city.  He was engaged for four years in the manufacture of lumber on Duncan creek, near Chippewa Falls, and for twelve year in foundry and machine shops in Chippewa Falls and Eau Claire, besides managing a farm.  In 1874 he built the Galloway house and numerous dwellings.  He erected the foundry and machine shops at Chippewa Falls, which was later converted into gas works.  He stood as an ancient Odd Fellow and had taken all the degrees in Masonry.

-Transcribed from the "History of Eau Claire County Wisconsin, 1914," page 318

+++++

James Bell Goddard, M. D.,* was born in Lena, Stephenson county, Illinois, October 25, 1856.  His parents, William R. and Catherine (Bell) Goddard, were natives of Vermont and Pennsylvania respectively.  His paternal grandfather was a native of Vermont and one of the pioneers of Stephenson county, Illinois, and by occupation a farmer.  He retired with a competency and died at the age of 92 years.  His maternal grandfather, William Bell, was a native of Pennsylvania and made his home near Altoona.  William R. Goddard, father of the doctor, came to Illinois with his parents when a boy and was a farmer by occupation.  He fought in the Mexican war and when the civil war broke out raised a company at Lena and Freeport.  Entering the service, he was promoted to Major of the 15th Illinois Regiment and served under General Grant and was killed in the battle of Shiloh, April 7, 1862.  His wife, with her brother, Robert Bell, emigrated to Illinois via the Ohio and Mississippi rivers by boat.  Landing at Savannah, Ill., they traveled overland by teams to Stephenson county and there joined an elder brother for whom she kept house until her marriage.

Dr. Goddard was reared on a farm, received his education in the public schools at Lena, Ill., and Knox College at Galesburg, from which he graduated in 1886.  The same year he matriculated with Rush Medical College of Chicago and was graduated in 1888.  He began practice at Winslow, Ill., remaining there until 1891, then spent a year and a half at Berlin and Vienna, taking laboratory and clinical work.  On his return to the United States, he located at Austin, Ill., where he remained until 1900, when he came to Eau Claire.  He is now a member of the Eau Claire County and the Wisconsin State Medical societies.

-Transcribed from the "History of Eau Claire County Wisconsin, 1914," pages 333 - 334

+++++

Albert F. Hahn, M. D., physician and surgeon, of Eau Claire, Wisconsin, was born on a farm in Butler county, Iowa, April 17, 1868, a son of August H. and Thusnelda (Kaltwasser) Hahn, both of whom were natives of Germany.  His father came to the United States in 1849 and for eighteen years was variously employed in the states of Pennsylvania, Illinois and Colorado.  He went to Iowa in 1866 and settled on a farm in Butler county, where he was successfully engaged in general farming until 1889, when he retired.  After a long and busy life he died at Shellrock, Iowa, in November, 1902, aged seventy-one years.  The death of his wife, mother of the doctor, occurred in 1889, at the age of forty-three years.

Raised on the homestead farm in his native state, Dr. Hahn acquired his primary education in the district schools, which was supplemented by courses of study at Wartburg College, Waverly, Iowa, and the Iowa State Normal School at Cedar Falls.  During the years of 1888, '89 and '90 he taught school, and in the fall of the last named year matriculated with the Rush Medical College in Chicago, where he spent two years and was graduated from the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Chicago in 1893, and was a post-graduate from the Chicago Clinical School in 1896.  He began the practice of his profession at Michicot, Manitowoc county, Wisconsin, in 1893.  In 1898 he located in the city of Eau Claire, where he has since conducted a successful and constantly growing practice.

Dr. Hahn was married June 1, 1898, to Anna Gutwasser, daughter of Fred and Bertha (Hafermeister) Gutwasser, prominent residents of Dorchester, Wisconsin.  Dr. and Mrs. Hahn have an interesting family of three children - Thusnelda, Cecil F. and Waldemar.  The doctor is a member of the American Medical Association, the Wisconsin Medical Society and is prominently identified with the Knights of Pythias, the Maccabees and Mystic Workers.  Mrs. Hahn is a descendant in the fourth generation on the paternal side from that sturdy Milwaukee pioneer, Gutwasser.

-Transcribed from the "History of Eau Claire County Wisconsin, 1914," pages 325 - 326

+++++

George F. Hamilton, M. D., was born in Chemung county, New York, April 28, 1839.  Came to Wisconsin in the fall of 1852, resided at Fond du Lac one year, moved to Oakfield, Dodge county, in 1853, remaining there until 1856, and then for a time lived in Hillsboro, Vernon county.  In 1862 went to Sheldon, Monroe county, remaining there until 1866, then returned to Vernon county, residing at Bloomingdale one year and two years in Springville, then for one year resided at Sparta.  In 1870 he went to Augusta.  He received his medical education at the Bennett Eclectic Medical College, Chicago, and commenced practice in 1866.  After coming to Augusta he ran a drug store in connection with his practice.  He was the first village president of Augusta who was elected on the no-license ticket.  He enlisted in Company I, Thirty-seventh Wisconsin Volunteers, was discharged March 18, 1865, on account of wounds received before Petersburg, Va.

-Transcribed from the "History of Eau Claire County Wisconsin, 1914," page 319

+++++

Edward Patrick Hayes, M. D.,* of Eau Claire, is the son of Thomas and Elizabeth (O'Connell) Hayes, and is one of a family of eight children, all born in the state of Wisconsin.  Thomas Hayes, father of the doctor, was born at Richfield, Wis., in 1847, and during his whole lifetime has been engaged in general farming.  He married Elizabeth O'Connell, daughter of John and Mary O'Connell, and they were the parents of eight children as follows:  Martha, wife of Henry Kuetzel, resides in Milwaukee; Elizabeth married Benjamin Herziger; Eleanor; Thomas resides on the home farm; Edward is deceased; Edward P., the subject of this sketch; Mary is engaged in teaching in Granville, this state, and Florence, who died at the age of eight years.

Thomas Hayes, grandfather of Doctor Hayes, was born in Cork, Ireland, and at the age of 27 came to America.  In 1839 he came west and located at Richfield, Wis.  He was a farmer by occupation and the owner of large tracts of land.

Dr. Edward P. Hayes was born at Richfield, Wis., September 24, 1886.  He obtained his early education in the common schools and the Menomonie high school.  After graduating from the latter, he taught school one year at Hartford, this state, after which, in 1909, he commenced the study of medicine at the Marquette University and graduated with the class of 1913 with the degree of M. D.  Immediately after this he went to St. Paul, Minn., and for one year was house physician at the Luther Hospital.  He came to Eau Claire highly recommended and associated himself with Dr. E. L. Mason on May 15, 1914.  Their offices are located in the Rust building on South Barstow street.  The doctor is a member of the Eau Claire Medical Society and affiliates with the Catholic church.

-Transcribed from the "History of Eau Claire County Wisconsin, 1914," page 339

+++++

Edward S. Hayes, M. D., one of the prominent physicians of Eau Claire, was born in Franklin county, Maine, December 27, 1856, a son of Charles and Emma (Bullen) Hayes, both natives of Maine.  Edward S. received his preliminary education in the public schools of Maine and prepared for college at the Maine Wesleyan Seminary, Kent's Hill, that state.  He attended Amherst College one year - 1877 and 1878 - and then entered the medical department of Harvard University, graduating from the latter in 1881.  He then spent one year as interne in the hospital at Providence, Rhode Island, and in 1883 located at Eau Claire, where he has since been actively engaged in the practice of medicine and has attained to a place of prominence among the medical profession.

On June 1, 1887, Dr. Hayes married Miss Miriam, daughter of Orrin H. and Cornelia (Pierce) Ingram, pioneer of Eau Claire, and among her most highly respected citizens (sketch of whom appears elsewhere in this volume).  Dr. and Mrs. Hayes have two children:  Ruth I. and Edmund.

Dr. Hayes is a member of the Eau Claire Medical Society, the Wisconsin State Medical Society and the American Medical Association, and has been a member of the State Board of Health since 1909.   Fraternally he is a member of Eau Claire No. 112, A. F. and A. M., and politically is a republican.

-Transcribed from the "History of Eau Claire County Wisconsin, 1914," pages 330 - 331

+++++

Charles E. Hogeboom, M. D., came to Eau Claire and engaged in the practice of medicine in May 1876.  He graduated from Rush Medical College, class of 1869, and began his practice at Blackberry Station, Kane county, Illinois.  He went from there to St. Charles, and remained there until he came to Eau Claire.  He was born in DeKalb county, Illinois, April 28, 1846, and was educated in the public schools of that county, and the high school at Sycamore and by private instruction.

-Transcribed from the "History of Eau Claire County Wisconsin, 1914," page 318

+++++

Dr. Ketchum was another one of the early doctors who practiced but a short time here, when he moved to the far west.  He practiced here during the reign of Dr. Chase and Dr. Skinner, and these three physicians were styled in a sort of floating joke as "Chase 'em, Ketch 'em and Skin 'em."

-Transcribed from the "History of Eau Claire County Wisconsin, 1914," pages 320 - 321

+++++

Dolenna Carlos Leavens, M. D., Fairchild, Wisconsin, is one of the prominent physicians of Eau Claire county.  He was born on a farm in Lee Center township, Lee county, Illinois, April 26, 1850, the son of Daniel T. and Angeline (DeWolf) Leavens, natives of New York and Pennsylvania respectively.  They were among the pioneers of Lee county, taking up land in Brooklyn township, that county, in an early day, which they improved.  In later life the father retired from active labor, moving to Lee Center and resided there until his decease at the age of eighty-one years, and where also the mother died at the age of eighty-nine years.  Of a family of twelve children born to them, ten grew to maturity:  Dolenna C.; Euretta married D. M. Sawyer; Estella married Cyrus Clark; Freeman B.; Ernest; Elvick and Josephine, who married I. N. Wood.  Those deceased are Alfred, Eugene and Charles.

Dr. Leavens was reared on the homestead farm in Lee county, Illinois, receiving his early education in the common schools.  He began the study of medicine in 1875 with Dr. J. H. Broffet, of Paw Paw, Illinois.  He entered Rush Medical College, Chicago, in 1880 and graduated with the class of 1883.  The same year he began practice at Lee Center, Illinois, remaining there for sixteen years, whence he moved to Amboy, Illinois, and practice there six years.  In 1902 on account of ill health he came to Wisconsin and purchased eighty acres of land in the town of Fairchild, Eau Claire county, and was there engaged in farming two years.  He later took the examination before the Wisconsin State Board of Medical Examiners and has since been in the active and successful practice of his profession in the village of Fairchild.

Dr. Leavens has been twice married.  His first wife was Helen, daughter of Jacob N. and Lydia (Robinson) Hill, of Lee county, Illinois, by whom he had three children, viz.:  Mae, wife of Thomas Courtright; Daniel Earl and Carl H.  Mrs. Leavens died in 1895, and the doctor married the second time Ella F. Taylor, daughter of Ephraim and Ellen (Claffin) Taylor, of Lee Center, Ill., and by her has one son - Wray T.

Fraternally Dr. Leavens is a member of Lee Center Lodge No. 146, A. F. and A. M., of which he was Master one term.  He is an honorary member of the Lee County Medical Society and politically is a republican.

-Transcribed from the "History of Eau Claire County Wisconsin, 1914," pages 326 - 327

+++++

John Van Reed Lyman, M. D.  Of the galaxy of medical men for which this part of the state of Wisconsin has gained no little fame, is to be found in the front rank, if not in the very van, the gentleman whose name is here recorded.  He was born in North Pepin, Wis., January 13, 1857, a son of Reverend Timothy and Valleria (Reinhart) Lyman.  The first known ancestor of the Lyman family was Thomas Lyman, who lived in England in 1275.  Dr. Lyman's first ancestor in America was Richard Lyman, who came from Norton, Mandeville, Parish of Ongar, county of Essex, England, in 1631, settling at Charleston, Mass.  Twenty-six members of the fifth and sixth generations in America fought for independence in the war of the revolution.  The generations in line of descent to our subject from Richard, were John, Moses, Moses, Elias, Timothy, Timothy, Timothy and Timothy.  Timothy III, grandfather of our subject, married Experience Bardwell and was a resident of Chester, Mass., where he died at the age of 52 years.  Timothy, father of Dr. Lyman, was born August 28, 1819, graduated from Amhurst College in 1844, and was ordained to the Congregational ministry in 1850.  For fifteen years he was engaged in missionary work in the west and south.  He was installed as pastor of a church in Killingworth, Conn., in 1866, serving as active pastor of a church at Southwick, Mass., in 1869, and died at the age of 67 years at Bar harbor, Maine.  He was married to Valeria Van Reed Reinhart, June 15, 1854, and they had two sons, William Bardwell, M. D., a graduate of Rush Medical College, Chicago, in the class of 1880, located in Eau Claire in 1882, where he became prominent in his profession, and is now actively engaged in practice in Boise City, Idaho, and our subject.

Dr. J. V. R. Lyman, second son and subject of this review, received an academic education at Fort Madison, Iowa, graduating therefrom in 1873.  He then engaged in mercantile pursuits until 1876, when he began the study of medicine and later was appointed hospital steward in the Ft. Madison, Iowa, penitentiary, where he enjoyed rare clinical advantages.  In 1877 he attended the St. Louis Medical College and the following two years he spent at the Rush Medical College in Chicago, where he was graduated in 1880.  He located in Eau Claire the same year, where he has since been engaged in active and successful practice of his profession, making a specialty of surgery and gynecology, devoting considerable time to this specialty.  In the meantime, he made a trip to Europe, spending some time in Berlin, where he took advanced instructions and now stands at the head of his profession in Eau Claire county.  he is a member of the American Medical Association and the Wisconsin State and Eau Claire County Medical Societies.

Dr. Lyman was married June 7, 1881, to Maud, daughter of W. L. and Sarah (Williams) Kepler, pioneers of Eau Claire.  To this union were born two children, John Van Reed, Jr., who is connected with the Press of Minneapolis, and Valeria, deceased.

The present wife of Dr. Lyman was Mary, daughter of Otis C. and Harriet (Disbro) Sylvester, of Minneapolis, to whom he was married August 27, 1909, and by her has one son, Richard Van Reed.

Dr. Lyman is a 32nd degree Mason, and in politics a Republican.  A half-brother, Timothy Fifth, is a graduate of Dartmouth College and is now a student of medicine in the medical department of Leland Stanford University in California, and a half-sister, Helen M., a graduate of Mt. Holyoke Seminary, is a teacher in the high school of Eau Claire.

-Transcribed from the "History of Eau Claire County Wisconsin, 1914," pages 332 - 333

+++++

Everett L. Mason, M. D., whose entire business career has been devoted to the practice of medicine, ranks among the leaders of his profession in Eau Claire county.  He was born in Eau Galle, Dunn county, Wisconsin, June 29, 1878.  His parents, Edwin C. and Sarah Jane (Wilmarth) Mason, natives of Illinois and Athens, Ohio, respectively, settled in Dunn county, this state, about 1867, where the father purchased a farm and made his home until he retired from active labor, removing to Careyville, the same county, where he still resides.

Dr. Everett L. Mason was reared in Dunn county, receiving his education in the public schools and the high school of Menomonie.  He subsequently spent three years as a teacher in the public schools of Dunn and Pepin county, and in the fall of 1899 began the study of medicine and was graduated from the Chicago Homeopathic Medical College with the class of 1903.  After his graduation, he spent one and one-half years as interne in the Cook County (Illinois) Hospital, and in December, 1904, located in the city of Eau Claire, where he practiced his profession until 1908, at which time he took a post-graduate course at the Northwestern University of Chicago, graduating in the spring of 1909.  He then returned to Eau Claire, where he has since been in an active and successful practice.

Dr. Mason married September 15, 1909, Miss Agnes Shumway, daughter of Arnold Shumway, of Janesville, Wis., and has one son, Robert Arnold.  For five years past Dr. Mason has been president of the Eau Claire Anti-Tuberculosis Association; he is a member of the Eau Claire County Medical Society, Wisconsin State Medical and the American Medical Association.  The doctor served as president of the Eau Claire County Medical Society for one year, and was for two years its secretary.  Fraternally he is a Knight Templar Mason and a member of the Knights of Pythias, and Grand Medical Examiner of the Beavers' Reserve Fund Fraternity.

-Transcribed from the "History of Eau Claire County Wisconsin, 1914," page 337

+++++

John B. Mathiesen, M. D., ranks among the prosperous young professional men of Eau Claire.  He was born in Drammen, Norway, November 13, 1872, the son of Thomas and Marie (Berger) Mathiesen.

The subject of this sketch was raised in his native town, received his education in private schools and the gymnasium.  Having determined to fit himself for the practice of medicine, he, in 1890, entered the medical department of the University of Norway at Christiania, and was graduated from there with the class of 1898.  He began his practice in Norway the same year and remained thus engaged until 1900, when he came to the United States and located in Eau Claire, where with the exception of three years spent abroad and two years spent in practice in Whitehall he has been associated with Dr. Christian Midelfart.  He is a member of the Eau Claire County Medical Society, the Wisconsin State Medical Society and the American Medical Association.

On June 24, 1903, Dr. Mathiesen married Miss Augusta, daughter of Einar Selmer, for many years a prominent druggist of Eau Claire.  They are the parents of three children - Anna, Erling and Birgit Mathiesen.

-Transcribed from the "History of Eau Claire County Wisconsin, 1914," page 325

+++++

Peter McKittrick, M. D., was born near Lanart, Ontario, January 7, 1866, coming to this country when a young man of tender years to carve out a future for himself.  By application and thrift the subject of this sketch procured an education and took up the profession of teaching.  Later he attended the Rush Medical College, from which he graduated in February, 1889.  Immediately after he began the practice of his profession at Thorp, Wis., and with the exception of one year he practiced there continuously till February, 1908.  During the one year intervening the doctor practice at Portland, Oregon.

Seeking a larger field, Dr. McKittrick came to Eau Claire from Thorp and had since continuously resided and practiced here.  He was alone in the practice here until February 1, 1910, when he formed a partnership with Dr. E. L. Mason.

The doctor had been ailing for several months, and after this prolonged illness he died December 17, 1913.  All recognized in Dr. McKittrick a man of strong character and kindly disposition - the kind that makes the world better and brighter for their having lived.  It can be truthfully said that Dr. McKittrick's existence was void of enmity.  His traits of character were such as to endear him and draw him closer in the bonds of friendship to those who formed acquaintance and association with him.  Thus it is but natural, even in anticipation of the inevitable, that the summons would bring tears, grief and sorrow to family, friends and acquaintances.

-Transcribed from the "History of Eau Claire County Wisconsin, 1914," page 321

+++++

Christian H. U. Midelfart, M. D., a prominent and successful physician of Eau Claire, was born in Christiania, Norway, August 5, 1865, the son of Peter A. and Nicolena (Solberg) Midelfart.  He was reared to manhood in his native country, received his classical education in private schools and his medical education was obtained in the University of Norway at Christiania, where he was graduated in 1892.  In 1893 he came to the United States and located in Eau Claire, where he has since succeeded in building up a large and lucrative practice, second to none in this section of the state, and is widely known as one of the leading members of his profession.  He was the first member of his family to emigrate to the United States.  He was married in 1898 to Margaret, daughter of Rev. Halvard and ? (Helberg) Hande, of Chicago, Illinois, who were formerly of Norway.  Her father was a clergyman of the Lutheran church and after coming to the United States preached  the gospel for several years, and later engaged in newspaper work for the Norden Newspaper, published in Chicago, and was considered one of the best Norwegian penmen in the United States.  Dr. Midelfart and wife are the parents of eight children:  Anna L., Margaret E., Dangny N., Peter A., Christian F., Ingeborg, Elise and Signe.  The doctor is a member of the Eau Claire County Medical Society, of which he served one term as president, the Wisconsin State Medical Society, the American Medical Association and the Norwegian Physicians' Society.  He was one of the directors of the Luther Hospital, and is at the head of the medical and surgical staff of that institution.  He occupies a prominent place in social circles in the city and in politics is affiliated with the democratic party.

-Transcribed from the "History of Eau Claire County Wisconsin, 1914," page 323

+++++

Roy E. Mitchell, M. D., of Eau Claire, has attained the front rank among the members of his profession in the city.  He was born at Porter's Mills, this county, March 17, 1876, a son of Squire F. and Laura (McIntosh) Mitchell, natives of the state of New York and Maine respectively.  His paternal grandfather, Samuel Mitchell, whose wife was Adaline Lombard, settled in the town of Brunswick, Eau Claire county, in 1871.  He was a lumberman and farmer, cleared and improved a farm in that town and died there.  His maternal grandfather, Benjamin G. McIntosh, a native of Maine, with his wife, Lydia, were also pioneers of the town of Brunswick, where they settled in 1864, cleared a part of a farm of 200 acres and resided in the town until his death in May, 1913, aged eighty-nine years.  He was a prominent man of affairs and served as a member of the county board several terms.  Squire F. Mitchell, father of our subject, was born in Allegany county, New York, November 4, 1851, and attended the common schools of his native state until fifteen years of age.  He came to Eau Clarie county in 1871 and entered the employ of the Daniel Shaw Lumber Company, which was the commencement of his career, details of which are more fully given in his sketch to be found elsewhere in this work.

Dr. Mitchell was reared in his native town, received his education in the schools of Eau Claire and graduated from the medical department of the University of Minnesota in the class of 1901.  He served as interne and chief of staff of the Metropolitan (B. I.) Hospital, New York City, for one and a half years, and in the New York state service at Middletown, new York, nine years.  In August, 1911, he located at Eau Claire and has since built up a lucrative practice.  He was married September 1, 1908, to Emily, daughter of John Dean and Lucy (Talbott) Judson, of Vernon, New York, and has two children:  Marjorie D. and Mancel T.

Dr. Mitchell is a member of the Eau Claire Medical Society, the Wisconsin State Medical Society, the American Medical Association and the American Medico-Psychological Association.  He is also a member of Eau Claire Lodge No. 112, A. F. and A. M.; Eau Claire Chapter No. 36, R. A. M.; Eau Claire Commandery No. 8 K. T.; the Germania Lodge No. 49, K. of P., Eau Claire, and the Modern Woodmen of America NO. 3159, town of Brunswick, Eau Claire county.  Politically he is independent.  In December, 1913, Dr. Mitchell was appointed visiting physician tot he new Mt. Washington Tuberculosis Sanatorium.

-Transcribed from the "History of Eau Claire County Wisconsin, 1914," pages 323 - 324

+++++

John Lawrence Montgomery, M. D.,* who belongs to the younger class of practicing physicians of Eau Claire, was born in this city March 2, 1890.  His father, Dr. Alexander Montgomery, one of the well known physicians of the city, is president of the Montgomery Hospital, which was established by him in 1905.

A native born son of Eau Claire, Dr. Montgomery received his primary education in the public schools.  He later attended the Eau Claire Business College and took a course at the New Era Business College at Superior, Wis., after which he took a classical course at St. Norbets College at DePere, Wis., and studied pharmacy one year.  He received his medical training at the Loyola University in Chicago, where he spent four years, graduating in 1911, after which he spent one year in the Marquette University and the Jefferson Park Hospital, and then located at Eau Claire, where he has since been in the active practice of his profession, with offices in the Eau Claire Savings Bank building.  He is connected with the Montgomery Hospital as vice-president, is a member of the Catholic Order of Foresters, the Equitable Fraternal Union and the Eau Claire County Medical Society.

Dr. Montgomery was married in 1911 to Miss Winnifred Loughney, a daughter of Roger Loughey (sp?), of Duluth, Minn., and they are the parents of one son, John Alexander Montgomery.

-Transcribed from the "History of Eau Claire County Wisconsin, 1914," page 338

+++++

William Montgomery, M. D., secretary of the Montgomery Hospital of Eau Claire, is a son of Alexander and Anna May Montgomery, natives of Glengary, Province of Ontario, Canada, and Eau Claire, respectively.  Alexander Montgomery, father of William, is a graduate of the Illinois College of Medicine, and has been in the practice of his profession in Eau Claire since 1889.  He founded the Montgomery Sanitarium in 1898, and the Montgomery Hospital in 1905, erecting the hospital buildings that year at a cost of $55,000, and since its completion the hospital has been constantly filled with patients.  Its present officers are:  Alexander Montgomery, Sr., president; John Montgomery, vice-president; William Montgomery, secretary, and Alexander Montgomery, Jr., treasurer.  Mrs. Montgomery, mother of our subject was a daughter of August Benick, a pioneer of Eau Claire.  Doctor and Mrs. Montgomery are the parents of six children:  William, Alexander, Jr., practicing in Milwaukee; John, practicing physician in Eau Claire; Elizabeth, Agnes, and Robert.

Dr. William Montgomery was born in Eau Claire October 11, 1886.  He was educated in the public schools of Eau Claire and the Hyde Park high school of Chicago, and later graduated from the medical department of the Illinois University, and has been in the active practice of his profession in Eau Claire.  In 1911 he married Miss Alma, daughter of John Olson, of Eau Claire.  The doctor is a member of the Eau Claire County Medical Society, the Wisconsin State Medical Society, the American Medical Association and the Western District Medical Society of Wisconsin, the Knights of Columbus, Brotherhood of American Yoeman, and Equitable Fraternal Union.

-Transcribed from the "History of Eau Claire County Wisconsin, 1914," pages 337 - 338

+++++

Henry G. Morgan, M. D., came to Wisconsin in 1869 and located at alma, where he practiced two years.  He came to Eau Claire in 1871 and began his practice.  He was born in Brecksville, Ohio, and got his medical education at the Chicago Medical College, graduating in the spring of 1868.

-Transcribed from the "History of Eau Claire County Wisconsin, 1914," page 319

+++++

Dr. James H. Noble was born in Madison, March 30, 1851.  He was educated at the University of Wisconsin and studied medicine with Dr. Bowen, of Madison.  He graduated from the Hahnemann Medical College, of Chicago, in February, 1871, and came to Eau Claire, March 30, of that year.

-Transcribed from the "History of Eau Claire County Wisconsin, 1914," page 319

+++++

Dr. Edward H. Parker, who came to Eau Claire July 12, 1879, was born at Hartford, Washington county, in November, 1854, and moved to Fond du Lac when thirteen years old.  Graduated from Fond du Lac high school in 1876, read medicine with Drs. Patchen and Bishop, of that place, graduated at Hahnemann College, Chicago, came to Eau Claire in 1879, and engaged in practice with Dr. Dwight W. Day, remaining with him until 1881.  He died in 1913.

-Transcribed from the "History of Eau Claire County Wisconsin, 1914," page 319

+++++

Arthur L. Payne, M. D.  Standing prominent among the medical profession of Eau Claire is Dr. A. L. Payne, specialist in diseases of the eye, ear, nose and throat.  He was born in Marietta, Ohio, January 16, 1866, the son of Wallace M. and Mary E. (Gates) Payne.  The doctor received his preliminary education at the Marietta Academy, and in 1887 matriculated with the Starling Medical College at Columbus, Ohio, and was graduated from the Ohio Medical College, which is now known as the medical department of the University of Cincinnati in 1890.  He began his practice in the city of Dayton the same year, remaining there until 1899, during which time he took up the specialty of the eye, ear, nose and throat, in which he had made a special study.  In the year 1899 he moved to Eau Claire and has since been engaged in a successful practice.

On October 8, 1890, Dr. Payne was married to Nellie R. Beachem, daughter of T. W. and Samantha (Terry) Beachem, of Dayton, Ohio, and they are the parents of one son - Norman B.  Dr. Payne ranks among the leading specialists in Northwestern Wisconsin, and enjoys the confidence and esteem of the community generally.  He is a member of the Eau Claire County Medical Society, the Wisconsin State Medical Society, the American Medical Association, the American Academy of Ophthalmology and Autolaryngology, the College of Surgeons of America and the Clinical College of Surgeons.

Dr. Payne is also prominent in fraternal and benevolent societies, being a member of Dayton Lodge No. 147, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, the Eau Claire Chapter No. 36, R. A. M.; Eau Claire Commandery and the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks.

-Transcribed from the "History of Eau Claire County Wisconsin, 1914," pages 329 - 330

+++++

Herman Frederick Prill, M. D.*  One of the popular physicians and surgeons of Augusta, Wisconsin, where he was born March 31, 1875, is the son of August F. and Amelia (Ludke) Prill.  The father came to the united States and to Wisconsin, locating at Ripon, where he engaged in the lumbering business.  Later on he came to Augusta and embarked in the hotel business, being for many years proprietor of the Park House.  Having disposed of his hotel interests, he is now living in retirement, enjoying the fruits of many years of toil.

Dr. Prill was reared in Augusta, receiving his preliminary education in the common and high schools.  After graduating from the latter, he took a preparatory course at Concordia college, Springfield, Illinois, and for a short time attended the State University of Minnesota.  His medical education was received at the Medical college in Milwaukee, from which he was graduated in 1902.  He almost immediately commenced the practice of medicine in his native town where he has built up a large clientele, and is very successful.  He holds membership in the Eau Claire County Medical society, State Medical society and the American Medical association.  In politics he is independent, and has served as Alderman in the city of Augusta.  Dr. Prill was married in 1904 to Miss Carrie Cebell, daughter of William Cebell, of Augusta.

-Transcribed from the "History of Eau Claire County Wisconsin, 1914," page 344

+++++

William O. Seemann, M. D., Eau Claire, the well known specialist in chronic disease, is the son of Hans and Mary (Peterson) Seeman, both natives of Schleswig, Holstein, Germany, who emigrated to the United States in 1853.  Upon arriving in this country they settled in Lyons, Iowa, where the father engaged in farming and made that his home until 1884, when he moved to South Dakota, having previously purchased a tract of valuable farming land there, making that his home until his death.

Dr. Seeman was born in Lyons, Iowa, August 6, 1870, receiving his preliminary education in the public schools of Sutherland, Iowa.  In 1892 he entered the medical department of the State University at Iowa City, and was graduated with the class of 1895, receiving his degree of M. D.  Following his graduation he served one year as interne in the hospital connected with the university, then went to Dubuque, Iowa, where he had charge of his brother's practice for one year.  In 1897 he came to Eau Claire and has since been in active practice here.  The doctor ranks among the foremost physicians of the city, and enjoys the confidence of a large clientele.

On September 6, 1898, he married Miss Elizabeth, daughter of Gabriel and Elizabeth (Herd) Weis, of Dubuque, Iowa, and they are the parents of two children - Lester W. and Mary E.  The doctor is a member of the Eau Claire County Medical Society, the Wisconsin State Medical Society and is also a member of the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks and a 32nd degree Mason.

-Transcribed from the "History of Eau Claire County Wisconsin, 1914," page 330

+++++

Joseph J. Selbach, M. D.  Among the able physicians of Eau Claire county whose life was devoted to the benevolent work of alleviating the sufferings of humanity none stood more prominent than Dr. Selbach.  A native of Germany, he was born August 2, 1864, and came to America in 1883.  His primary education was received in the common schools of Germany, which was supplemented by a thorough course at the University of Ann Arbor, from which he graduated with honor.  His medical education was received at the College of Physicians and Surgeons in Chicago, from which institution he was graduated in 1887.  Upon the arrival of Dr. Selbach in this country he came to Wisconsin, locating at Green Bay and there made his home until 1888, when he moved to Eau Claire and commenced the practice of medicine in this city.  A man of culture and attainments, he possessed excellent personal qualities, which won for him the esteem of all with whom he came in contact.  As a member of the Inter-County Medical Society he was often called upon for papers on topics of interest to his profession, and his opinions were much valued by his associates.  He was popular in the social circles of Eau Claire, and one of his chief diversions was fine music, both vocal and instrumental.

Dr. Selbach was a leading member of the German Catholic church, a member of the Catholic Order of Foresters, also the Catholic Knights of Wisconsin and of the Equitable Fraternal Union.  He married Mary M. Hedergott at Green Bay, Wis., and eight children were born to them:  Joseph W., William J., August H. was drowned at the age of eight years, Hubert H., Cecelia M., Amelia M., Lucile I. and Marie A.  The two elder sons, Joseph W. and William J., are bright and promising young men, holding positions in the Union National Bank, of Eau Claire.  Hubert H. is employed at the International Harvester Company office in Eau Claire as bookkeeper.

-Transcribed from the "History of Eau Claire County Wisconsin, 1914," pages 321 - 322

+++++

Elmer M. A. Sizer, M. D., the well known physician of Fall Creek, Eau Claire county, is a son of George W. and Fannie Ann (Newman) Sizer, natives of Oneida county, New York, and West Winsted, Conn., respectively.  Jabez W. Sizer, paternal grandfather of Dr. Sizer, was born in the Mohawk Valley, New York, and was a colonel in the United States army in the war with England during the years of 1812 and '15.  He was a son of Jabez W. Sizer, a sergeant under General Washington in the Revolutionary war, and whose discharge papers are now in the hands of Jabez W. Sizer, of Fond du Lac, Wis.  He was a native of Sleepy Hollow, near Tarrytown, N. Y., and a son of Jabez W., son of Jabez W., son of Jabez W., a native of France, and son of Anton de ZoSieur, beheaded during the French crusade, whose sons, seven in number, emigrated to New Amsterdam (now New York City) in the latter part of the Seventeenth century.  Jabez W. Sizer, grandfather of Dr. Sizer, came to Wisconsin in 1848, settling in Springvale, Fond du Lac county.  He was a tinsmith by trade, as was also his father, who were employed on                           t                he first government buildings erected at Washington, D. C.

George W. Sizer, father of the doctor, served two years in the Mexican war, with the rank of Corporal.  He settled in Springvale, Wis., in 1847, where he owned a farm of 280 acres on which he made all the improvements, and where he made his home until his death in 1880.  His wife, mother of our subject, was a daughter of Ezra Newman, of Connecticut, who, with his five sons, were manufacturers of hand-made scythes.  Her father was a cousin of the late Cardinal Newman, of England, and she was a cousin of Bishop Newman, of the Methodist Episcopal church.  George W. Sizer and wife were the parents of eleven children, viz:  Georgia S., a practicing physician of Muskogee, Okla., and widow of Dr. Hiel F. Orvis; Jabez W.; George W.; Helen, wife of Dr. George A. Rogers, of Chicago, Ill.; Charles H.; Ada D.; Mary, wife of C. E. Pardridge; Frank S., a contractor and real estate dealer of Oklahoma; L. J., a dentist of Broken Bow, Okla.; Lucy B., wife of F. M. Davis, lawyer and real estate dealer of Muskogee, Okla., and Elmer M. A., the subject of this sketch.

Dr. Sizer was born in the town of Springvale, Fond du Lac county, Wisconsin, April 15, 1867; he was raised on the family homestead and acquired his primary education in the public schools of his home county.   His medical education was received at the Chicago Homeopathic Medical College, which he entered in 1891, and was graduated with the class of 1894.  He first began practice at Hartland, Wis., and later located at White Fish Bay, and in 1896 came to Fall Creek, Eau Claire county, where he has since been engaged in the active and successful practice of his profession.

In 1898 Dr. Sizer married Amanda, daughter of Ferdinand and Wilhelmina (Bruesewitz) Zieman, of Fall Creek, and they have one son, Frank Hobart Knoll.  The doctor is a member of the Eau Claire County Medical Society, the Tenth District Medical Society, the State Medical Society, and the American Medical Association.  He is prominently identified with fraternal and benevolent societies, being a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, the Modern Woodmen of America, the Free and Accepted Masons, with the degrees of R. A. M. and Knights Templar.  He has served as chairman of the town of Lincoln, and during his second year of such was successful in getting the village of Fall Creek incorporated.  In his political affiliations he is independent, while in social life he is in the full enjoyment of the respect and esteem of a wide circle of friends and acquaintances.

-Transcribed from the "History of Eau Claire County Wisconsin, 1914," pages 341 - 343

+++++

F. R. Skinner, M. D., was born in Utica, New York, April 21, 1831.  He began his education in the old Utica Academy, was at Clinton Liberal Institute one year, Utica Academy five or six years and at Springfield Wesleyan Academy preparing for college.  He entered Dartmouth College in the fall of 1849 and graduated in 1952.  He then went to Castleton, Vermont, to study medicine, and graduated in 1854.  He attended a course of medical lectures in New York City, and after reading awhile with Professor Goldsmith and also Dr. Bodd, of Utica, he took a general tour of the West and Southwest.  He located at Stevens Point in the fall of 1855, was taken sick in the spring of 1856 and returned to New York.  He came to Eau Claire in 1857, spending a few months in Stillwater, Minnesota, learning the banking business.  In the interim he built and started a drug store in Eau Claire, which he ran till the spring of 1869, when he sold out to Farr, French & Co. he died March 1, 1904.

-Transcribed from the "History of Eau Claire County Wisconsin, 1914," pages 322 - 323

+++++

Dr. Arthur Thrane, M. D., came to Eau Claire in November, 1875, and has since been engaged in the practice of medicine here.  He was born in Norway, January 26, 1844, and came to America in April, 1865.  Remaining in New York one year he came to Chicago and commenced the study of medicine with Dr. Paoli, and graduated from Rush Medical College in 1868, beginning his practice in Chicago.

-Transcribed from the "History of Eau Claire County Wisconsin, 1914," page 323

+++++

Eugene M. Tupper, physician and surgeon, of Eau Claire, Wisconsin, was born in Sheboygan Falls, this state, January 15, 1871, the son of George L. and Sarah (White) Tupper.  His paternal grandfather, Eben Tupper, a native of New Hampshire, was one of the first settlers in Sheboygan county, where he cleared up and improved a farm of 250 acres and was the first man to own a team of horses in that county.  The doctor's maternal grandfather was Rand B. White, a native of New York state, who was also a pioneer of Sheboygan county.  he was a carriage maker by trade and also a physician, having been graduated from a medical college in the state of New York.

Dr. Tupper spent his boyhood in Sheboygan Falls, receiving his primary education in the public schools, which was supplemented with a course at the Knox College, Galesburg, Illinois, and the University of Chicago.  He entered the medical department of the Illinois University in Chicago, and was graduated with the class of 1905.  The same year he began his practice at Hingham, Sheboygan county, remaining there until 1908, when he located in Eau Claire, and has since remained here in the active and successful practice of his profession.

On November 1, 1900, Dr. Tupper married Rose D., daughter of Augustus D. and Celia (Doane) Bemis, of Plymouth, Wisconsin.  Dr. Tupper is one of the foremost men of his profession, in which he is an efficient and conscientious worker, and enjoys the confidence of the community.  He is a member of the American Medical Association, the West Wisconsin District Medical Society, the Eau Claire County Medical Society, of which he has served as secretary.  Also a member of the Wisconsin State Surgical Society.  He is also a member of the Knights of Pythias and the Baptist church.

-Transcribed from the "History of Eau Claire County Wisconsin, 1914," pages 331 - 332

+++++

Richard F. Werner, M. D.,* was born in Eau Claire, September 11, 1874, to Peter and Augusta (Kitzman) Werner.  The parents of Peter Werner were natives of Germany and pioneer settlers of Sheboygan, Wis., and owned and operated the first saw mill there.  He carried on lumbering until his death in 1854.  The maternal grandfather, August Kitzman, a native of Germany, whose wife was Rose Otto, was among the pioneers of Eau Claire county.  He was a farmer and lumberman, and died in 1898 at the age of 80 years.  His wife died in 1911, aged 86 years.  Peter Werner, father of our subject, came to Eau Claire in 1862 and followed lumbering also until he retired in 1902.  He now resides in Los Angeles, Cal.  There were five sons and three daughters in the family, viz:  Charles, Richard F., Harriet, Henry, Otto H., Ewald, Helen and Rose.

Dr. Werner was educated in the public schools of Eau Claire and at the Beloit College.  His medical education was obtained at the Rush Medical College of Chicago, from which he graduated in 1897.  He began his practice at Augusta, remaining there until 1905, when he removed to Eau Claire.  He married November 15, 1899, Agnes Keith, daughter of John and Agnes (Barland) Keith, and has three sons, Richard K., Keith and Thomas.  Dr. Werner is a member of the Presbyterian church, the Masons, Odd Fellows, Knights of Pythias, the Eau Claire County Medical Society, the Wisconsin State Medical Society, the American Medical Association and the Congress of Surgeons of North America.

-Transcribed from the "History of Eau Claire County Wisconsin, 1914," page 334

+++++

Ephraim H. Winter, M. D.,* of Augusta, stands prominent among the medical profession in Eau Claire county, Wisconsin.  He was born in Aroostook county, Maine, November 3, 1867, the son of Joseph and Lydia M. (Rollins) Winter.  Dr. Winter's grandfather was Benjamin Winter, and his grandmother's maiden name was Olive Gray.  The Winter family are of English descent, the early ancestors coming to this country with the Puritans on the Mayflower, and first settled in Massachusetts, members of the family taking part in the Revolutionary War and also in the war of 1812.  The family contained many millwrights and in 1874 the doctor moved with his parents to Black River Falls, where the father engaged in the sawmill business.  He died in 1896 and the mother passed away in 1878.  They were the parents of four children, viz.:  Cora, wife of Joseph E. Dimmick, who resides at Black River Falls; Elmer, Ephriam H., and Lena, who married Ottie Sweet and lives at Los Angeles, Cal.

The subject of this sketch received his early education in the public schools of Black River Falls, then entered the medical college at Ann Arbor, Mich., from which he was graduated with honors.  He located for the practice of his profession at Fairchild, subsequently removing to Reno, Nev., where he practiced for four years.  Returning to Wisconsin in 1902, he located at Augusta, where he has since enjoyed a lucrative practice.  Politically, he is a republican.  He is a member of the Masonic fraternity and the Modern Woodmen of America, also the Baptist church.

In 1898 Dr. Winter married Miss Henrietta Thompson, of Fairchild.  She was born in Liverpool, England, and is a daughter of Daniel Thompson, a millwright.  Doctor and Mrs. Winter are the parents of three children - Wayland V., born in 1899; Marjorie B., born in 1900, and Ernest A., born in 1903.

-Transcribed from the "History of Eau Claire County Wisconsin, 1914," page 343

+++++

William Young, farmer and physician, came to Wisconsin in 1839.  Located in Waukesha county, farming some two years; then in Jefferson county for fifteen years, farming and practicing medicine.  Came to Eau Claire county in 1856, engaged in farming and practicing medicine for many years.  Was supervisor of Otter Creek township for several years.  He was born in Scotland in 1816 and came to America in 1828.

-Transcribed from the "History of Eau Claire County Wisconsin, 1914," page 321




Please use this form to search this site:
  Help
Site Search by PicoSearch pico
disclaimer

The WIGenWeb Project logo was designed and provided by Debbie Barrett.



DISCLAIMER:  No claim is made to the copyrights of the individual submitters. The contents of this entire website may be used for personal use only by individuals researching their ancestry. Commercial use of this information for profit is strictly prohibited without prior permission of the owners. Other genealogical websites may link to this website; however, permission is not granted to duplicate any of the contents. Anyone contributing material for posting does so in recognition of its free, non-commercial distribution, as well as the responsibility to assure that no copyright is violated by the submission.  This website and its coordinator are not responsible for donations of copyrighted material where explicit written permission has not been granted for use.

copyright footer


Copyright © 1998 - 2012 wigenwebcc
All Rights Reserved
This website was first established on 28 Jan 1998