Eau Claire Co. WIGenWeb what's new tools photos histories databases home
Histories >  Eau Claire County Historical Accounts >

"History of Eau Claire County Wisconsin, 1914, Past and Present"

Chapter  12 - Eagle Post, G. A. R.

by L. A. Brace

John E. Perkins Post, No. 98

(-as transcribed from pages 197 - 198)

John E. Perkins Post, No. 98, was organized in Augusta on August 3, 1883, in what was called Beebe's Hall. Two years later the hall was burned, including books of record and entire working paraphernalia. It was not long, however, before that indomitable pluck so characteristic of our Wisconsin boys was again brought into action, and things began to come our way, and, Phoenix like, out of the old came the new, being now located in William's Hall, where we remained until forced to vacate on account of remodeling and enlarging of the building. It was some time before we were again located in our present quarters in Teare's Hall, where we continued along the same old line of teaching patriotism and love for "Old Glory," as well as seeking out and caring for and administering to our needy co-partners of the great conflict of long ago. 

Our post at this date (1914) has only twenty members in good standing, some of which are getting old and feeble and soon will have finished here and pass on to fairer climes to join the great majority. We continue to pay our annual tribute to the dead by strewing flowers over the graves of the Blue, and the Grey. Why not? One country and one flag is our slogan. 

The time and place of meeting is Teare's Hall every second and fourth Friday evenings. The following are the commanders of John E. Perkins Post since its inception to the present time: 

Capt. R. D. Campbell C. W. Culbertson C. A. Kirkham F. N. Thomas
H. H. Kyle W. H. H. Coolidge G. F. Caldwell

We have a large and flourishing Women's Relief Corps, alert and watchful contributors to the old boys' best interests. "God bless the Women's Relief Corps of the old Badger state." 
G. F. Caldwell, Senior Vice Commander.

Please use this form to search this site:
Site Search by PicoSearch pico

The WIGenWeb Project logo was designed and provided by Debbie Barrett.

DISCLAIMER:  No claim is made to the copyrights of the individual submitters. The contents of this entire website may be used for personal use only by individuals researching their ancestry. Commercial use of this information for profit is strictly prohibited without prior permission of the owners. Other genealogical websites may link to this website; however, permission is not granted to duplicate any of the contents. Anyone contributing material for posting does so in recognition of its free, non-commercial distribution, as well as the responsibility to assure that no copyright is violated by the submission.  This website and its coordinator are not responsible for donations of copyrighted material where explicit written permission has not been granted for use.

copyright footer

Copyright © 1998 - 2012 wigenwebcc
All Rights Reserved
This website was first established on 28 Jan 1998