Eau Claire Co. WIGenWeb what's new tools photos histories databases home
Histories > Eau Claire Co. Historical Accounts

"History of Northern Wisconsin, 1881"

Eau Claire Biographical Sketches

(-as transcribed from pages 314 - 338)

"T" Surnames

TARRANT, Elias
TEALL, George Clinton
TEALL, William A.
THOMAS, Evan Q.
THOMAS, George W.
THOMAS, James H.
THOMAS, Thomas W.
THOMPSON, Daniel S.
THOMPSON, G. Tabor
THOMPSON, George T.
THOMPSON, Walter
THRANE, Arthur (Dr.)
THWING, Joseph E.
TOWN, Fred A.
TRACY, Andrew L.
TRUAX, Peter

+++++

TARRANT, Elias

ELIAS TARRANT, foreman Eau Claire Manufacturing Company, Eau Claire. Came to Wisconsin in 1863, and located in Eau Claire ; was employed by Chapman & Thorp for seven years, in mill; ran present mill on his account for six years, and since 1876, been engaged in present capacity. Was born in Canada, Jan. 1, 1844. Came to the States in 1857, and was employed in lumbering and in saw mills for some years. Was married in Eau Claire, December, 1867, to Eliza Dill; born in Manitowoc.

+++++

TEALL, George Clinton

(photo)GEORGE CLINTON TEALL, Eau Claire. Was born in Seneca Co., N. Y., May 20, 1840, at the old family homestead, near the shores of Seneca Lake, and at the age of twelve, removed with his father's family to Geneva, N. Y., where he was principally educated. He was a student in Geneva Union and Classical School four years, then at Walnut Hill School, and at the age of eighteen, he entered Hobart george c. teallCollege, in which he was a member of the class of 1862. Of his father's family, ten children grew up to mature years, all of whom are now living, except his brother Nathan, who lost his life in the late war. His father, G. C. P. Teall, was a son of Nathan Teall, whose father was one of three political fugitives from the oppression of Switzerland, who settled in Connecticut about the year 1730. His grandfather, Nathan Teall, was a soldier of the Revolutionary war, under Gen. Knox, and on several critical occasions, served as his messenger to Gen. Washington, and was trusted with other important duties. In 1792, this grandfather settled in Newtown, N. Y., which town was afterward named Elmira, in honor of a member of the family by that name. On the side of his father's mother, the family ancestors were among the Pilgrim Fathers who landed from the "Mayflower," at Plymouth, in 1620, and her father was a colonel in the Revolutionary war. The family is one of well-known influence and importance, branches of it being located at Albany, Syracuse, Geneva, Rochester, Sodus, and other places in Central New York. Judge Teall studied law at Rochester, N. Y., in 1862-3-4, in the offices of Hon. Theron R. Strong, formerly of the Court of Appeals and of Hon. Alfred G. Mudge, then Surrogate of Monroe County, and also attended a course of law lectures in the Winter of 1863-4, at Rochester. He was married, June 8, 1864. to Miss Helen Pauline Simons, daughter of Hon. Nathan C. Simons, at Buffalo, N. Y., and soon after came West, engaging in the business of buying and shipping grain from Milwaukee and Chicago, to Buffalo, by the great lakes, during 1864-5. His only son, Frederick Augustus Teall, was born at Milwaukee, March 16, 1865, and is now a youth of promising talents and scholarship.  In February, 1866, Judge Teall came to settle in Eau Claire, where he has since resided with his family. In April, 1867, he was elected a Justice of the Peace, and in January, 1868, he was appointed County Judge by Gov. Fairchild, in place of Hon. H. W. Barnes, who resigned to take his seat in the State Legislature. He was afterward, in the Spring of 1869, elected his own successor, and administered that office until January, 1874. He was from 1866, for several years, interested in the mercantile firm of George C. Teall & Co., and from 1868 to 1873, was one of the firm of William A. Teall & Bro., general insurance agents. He was always prominently identified with the public interests of his county and State, and has been a consistent Republican in politics. He was admitted to the practice of law in Wisconsin, at Milwaukee, in January, 1872, and soon afterward in the Supreme Court and United States Courts. at Madison. In 1873, he formed a partnership with Hon. Alexander Meggett, and was a member of the law firm of Meggett & Teall, in the active practice of law until the Spring of 1881, when the firm dissolved, and he thereafter continued in the practice and pursuit of his chosen profession, at Eau Claire. In December, 1880, he was again appointed County Judge, by Gov. Smith, to fill a vacancy, occurring by the resignation of Hon. Arthur C. Ellis. In the Spring of 1881, he was re-elected without opposition, for the term ending January, 1886. Judge Teall's wife was born in Skaneateles, N. Y., and in childhood removed to Union Springs, in Cayuga Co., N. Y., where she was educated, graduating at Friends' Academy, in 1863. With her father's family went to reside in Buffalo, N. Y., where she was married, as above stated, at the age of twenty-one.

+++++

TEALL, William A.

WILLIAM A. TEALL, Eau Claire. came to this city in July, 1868, and engaged in general insurance and loan business until 1873, his brother was then associated in business with him, since that time he has been alone. He was born in Seneca Co., N. Y., and lived in Geneva until 1860, when his father retired from active business and moved to Seneca Castle, N. Y. In 1863, Mr. Teall went to Rochester engaging in the pension and bounty business; he returned home for a short time and in 1867, entered the Law School of Columbia College, and took a commercial course in New York City, and came from New York to Eau Claire. He was married in September, 1873, to Kate Gardner Callahan, a daughter of J. G. Callahan, of Eau Claire. She was born at Niagara Falls, N. Y. They have two children, Fanny Cotheal and Gardner Callahan. Mr. Teall is master of Blue Lodge A. F. & A. M. and is P. C. of the Knights of Pythias.

+++++

THOMAS, Evan Q.

EVAN Q. THOMAS, agent C., St. P., M. & O. R. R., and W. & M. R. R., came to Wisconsin in Spring of 1866, and located at La Crosse Valley. Farmed, clerked, and also taught school for two Winter terms, and resided there for two years. Then clerked for M. & St. P. R. R., at Black River Falls, Eau Claire and Menomonie, up to Summer of 1871. Then entered the employ of W. W. R. R. Co., as freight clerk and telegraph operator, located at Menomonie. Was there for nearly four years, and had charge of R. R. station for three years. Came to Eau Claire, December, 1874, to fill present position. He was born at Dundaff, Pa., Feb. 26, 1842. He enlisted, September, 1861, as private in 52d Pa. I. Was in peninsular campaign, in army of Potomac; was at siege of Charleston, S. C., served under Cen. Foster, and was wounded in right hand at battle of Fair Oaks. Was at time of discharge, in 1865, holding rank of orderly sergeant. He was married in Menomonie, Wis., January, 1873, and has three children - Fred. W., David Everett and Edna.

+++++

THOMAS, George W.

GEORGE W. THOMAS, manager Crescent Flouring Mills, Eau Claire, came to Wisconsin in 1874, and located in Eau Claire, employed by Daniel Shaw Lumber Company. Was for two years salesman and in his present capacity since. Was born in Charleston, Pa., Sept. 7, 1850, and married in Eau Claire, Nov. 28, 1878, to Libby Hutchinson, who was born in Illinois. Has been a member of Knights of Pythias for three years.

+++++

THOMAS, James H.

JAMES H. THOMAS, Eau Claire, was born at Granville, Ohio, March 28, 1852. He lived for a time in Illinois, and in 1859, came to Eau Claire. He was employed as a clerk by the mercantile firm of G. B. Chapman & Co., and the Northwestern Lumber Company prior to April, 1879, when he engaged in the butcher business in partnership with David Drummond. He was married in Eau Claire, Dec. 28, 1880, to Mary McDougall, whose parents were early settlers in Wabasha, Minn. Mr. Thomas's father, Hiram P. Thomas, was born at Pleasant Mills, Mill Creek Township, Hamilton Co., Ohio (six miles north of Cincinnati), Dec. 29, 1822, and lived in Aurora, Ill., four or five years before coming to Eau Claire in 1859.

+++++

THOMAS, Thomas W.

THOMAS W. THOMAS, Eau Claire, came to Wisconsin, Nov. 17, 1869, and located at Chippewa Falls. In 1871, he came to Eau Claire. He has been in the insurance business since June, 1870, and in partnership with Mr. S. H. Wilcox in the general tire and life insurance business. He was born in South Wales, Oct. 10, 1839, and came to America with his parents in 1850; locating in Tioga Co., Pa., where he lived until he came to Wisconsin. He is Alderman and Supervisor of the Sixth Ward of Eau Claire.

+++++

THOMPSON, Daniel S.

DANIEL S. THOMPSON, Eau Claire, was born in Bethany, Genesee Co., N. Y., Oct. 25, 1839, and lived there until the Fall of 1861, when he came to Durand, Pepin Co., where he engaged in mercantile business until 1872, when he became a resident of Arkansas, in the same county. In October, 1876, he came to Eau Claire. He was employed as book-keeper by McIntyre & Co., while they were building the Dells. Early in 1879, he entered the office of Register of the U. S. Land Office, doing all the business of the office. He was married in Durand, Nov. 20, 1867, to Helen F. Hayes. They have one child, Loretta F. Mr. Thompson is a member of the A. F. & A. M.

+++++

THOMPSON, G. Tabor

G. TABOR THOMPSON, druggist, Eau Claire, came to Wisconsin in 1860, locating in Milwaukee, where he was in the employ of the Milwaukee & St. Paul Railway Co. In 1865, he removed to Portage, where he was employed by the same company until 1871, when he came to Eau Claire and engaged in his present business. He was born in Colchester, Chittenden Co., Vt., Jan. 13, 1836, and when fourteen years of age left home. He was in New York City awhile. In 1853, he commenced railroading on the Vermont Central Road, and continued with that company until 1860. He enlisted in Company F, 24th Wis. V. I., in August, 1862, and served until he was discharged on account of disability caused by sickness, in December, 1864. He was married in La Crosse, Nov. 11, 1868, to Abagail Ann Henshaw, who was born in Milwaukee. They have one child, Cora Agnes. Mr. Thompson is a member of the A. F. & A. M., of the I. O. O. F., and of the A. O. U. W.

+++++

THOMPSON, George T.

GEORGE T. THOMPSON, cashier of the Bank of Eau Claire, came to Eau Claire Feb. 1, 1872, and has been in the banking business ever since. He was in the Merchant's National Bank, of East Saginaw, Mich., for several years before he came here. He was born in Troy, Oakland Co., Mich., July 6, 1850, and when quite young moved with his parents to Saginaw, Mich. He was married in Eau Claire, Sept. 15, 1875, to Julia, daughter of H. P. Graham, and a native of Canada. They have two children living, Graham and Helen M., and have lost one child, who died in infancy.

+++++

THOMPSON, Walter

WALTER THOMPSON, foreman Eau Claire City Flouring Mills, came to Wisconsin in August, 1872, and located at Eau Claire. Has been employed with present company nine years, six of which he has been foreman. Was born in England, Feb. 28, 1849., and learned his trade in that country. Came to America in 1872, and was married at Eau Claire, Dec. 9, 1875, to Bertha Maria Nelson, who was born in Norway. She died Sept. 1, 1877.

+++++

THRANE, Arthur (Dr.)

DR. ARTHUR THRANE, physician and surgeon, came to Eau Claire in November, 1875, and has since been engaged in the practice of his profession here. He was born in Norway, Jan. 26, 1844, and came to America in April, 1865. Remaining in New York City one year, he came to Chicago and commenced the study of medicine with Dr. Paoli, of that city, and graduated from Rush Medical College in 1868, beginning his practice in Chicago. He was married in Chicago, in May, 1867, to Molly Struck, who was born in Norway, in 1850. They have five children - Victor, Ella, Emma, Marcus and Robert. He is a member of the Chippewa Valley Medical Society.

+++++

THWING, Joseph E.

JOSEPH E. THWING, druggist, Eau Claire, is a son of Joseph P. and Hannah M. (Hopkins) Thwing, now residents of Farmington, Me. He was born in New Sharon, Franklin Co., Me., Jan. 4, 1859, and at the age of twelve moved with his parents to Farmington, in the same county. Five years later, he went to Portland, Me., and spent a year and a half, commencing while there to learn the drug business. He then took a two years' course in the Massachusetts College of Pharmacy, in Boston, remaining in the drug business in that city until Maly, 1879, when he went to St. Paul, Minn., where he remained about three month, when he returned East for a short time. He went to St. Paul again, and in November, 1879. came to Eau Claire, purchased property, and, Feb. 2, 1880, opened a drug store. He does jobbing business in face preparations, in addition to carrying on general drug trade. He was married, Dec. 7, 1880, in Eau Claire, to Mary A., a daughter of D. C. Clark. She was born in that city, Dec. 7, 1862.

+++++

TOWN, Fred A.

FRED A. TOWN, salesman Eau Claire Lumber Co., Eau Claire, came to Wisconsin in 1857, and located at Wheaton. Lived on farm with parents for some years. Went to Chippewa Falls, and for two years was employed in sorting lumber. He then returned to Wheaton, and farmed for some two years. Has been engaged with Eau Claire Lumber Co. for several years. Was married in Eau Claire, Sept. 10, 1878, to Isabel Barland, who was born in Illinois. They have one child, Jessie K.

+++++

TRACY, Andrew L.

ANDREW L. TRACY, of the firm of Cass & Tracy, druggists was born in Richland, Richland Co, Dec. 11, 1853, and lived there until 1859, when he moved to Osseo, Trempealeau Co., and from there came to Eau Claire in 1867. He has been engaged in the drug business since 1868. The present firm of J. E. Cass and A. L. Tracy was organized in 1874, and did business under the firm name of Seth French & Co. until January, 1880. Mr. Tracy was married, Jan. 31, 1877, in Eau Claire, to Marian A. Brackett, who was born in Grant County, and is a daughter of J. M. Brackett, of Eau Claire. They have one child, Jean, born May 3, 1881. Mr. Tracy is a member of the Knights of Pythias.

+++++

TRUAX, Peter

PETER TRUAX, logger, Eau Claire, was born in Steuben Co., N. Y., Feb. 24, 1828. When young his parents moved to Allegany Co., N. Y., where he was married Sept. 23, 1852, to Miss Cordelia Avery. Came to Wisconsin in 1853, and settled in Walworth County, and from there moved to Eau Claire in 1855, locating on what is now known as Truax Prairie, where he engaged in farming until 1865, when he moved to town and engaged in general merchandising until 1873. Since engaged in logging and farming. Mr. Truax built, with Mr, Thorp, the first Opera House in Eau Claire.


Please use this form to search this site:
  Help
Site Search by PicoSearch pico
disclaimer

The WIGenWeb Project logo was designed and provided by Debbie Barrett.



DISCLAIMER:  No claim is made to the copyrights of the individual submitters. The contents of this entire website may be used for personal use only by individuals researching their ancestry. Commercial use of this information for profit is strictly prohibited without prior permission of the owners. Other genealogical websites may link to this website; however, permission is not granted to duplicate any of the contents. Anyone contributing material for posting does so in recognition of its free, non-commercial distribution, as well as the responsibility to assure that no copyright is violated by the submission.  This website and its coordinator are not responsible for donations of copyrighted material where explicit written permission has not been granted for use.

copyright footer


Copyright © 1998 - 2012 wigenwebcc
All Rights Reserved
This website was first established on 28 Jan 1998