Eau Claire Co. WIGenWeb what's new tools photos histories databases home
Histories > Eau Claire Co. Historical Accounts

"History of Northern Wisconsin, 1881"

Eau Claire Biographical Sketches

(-as transcribed from pages 314 - 338)

"C" Surnames

CALLAHAN, J. G.
CALVERT, Charles M. (Dr.)
CARLSON, Christian
CARSON, William
CASS, Josiah Edward
CHALES, Henry C.
CHAMBERLIN, C. A.
CHAMBERS, Andrew
CHAPMAN, George B.
CHILDS, Garrit P.
CHURCHILL, Benjamin J.
CHURCHILL, George W.
CHURCHILL, Julius C.
CLARKE, Joel (Rev. Dr.)

CODY, John Edward
COLLINS, John G. (Rev. Father)
COMPO, Ephraim
COOK, W. F.
COON, N. D.
CRAMER, Peter
CULBERTSON, Henry M.
CULBERTSON, James H.
CULBERTSON, W. R.
CULLINS, Charles
CULVER, D. A.
CULVER, E. S.
CUTLER, Charles


+++++

CALLAHAN, J. G.

J. G. CALLAHAN, Eau Claire, was born in Andover, Mass., Sept. 2, 1823, and in the Spring of 1844 went to Niagara Falls, and was engaged in mercantile business there until 1853, when he went to Oxford, N. Y., where he was employed by Chapman & Thorp, merchants.  In April, 1857, he came to Eau Claire, Wis., and continued in the employ of the same parties, they having established business here.  He is Register of the U. S. Land Office, and was for a time, during the war, deputy provost marshal, and has been member of the Assembly.  He was President of the Village two successive terms; at the time of his first election there was not a vote cast against him.  He is a member of the Presbyterian Church and of the A., F. & A. M. and the Temple of Honor.  He was married at Niagara Falls, April 19, 1849, to Maria S. Johns who was born in Erie, Pa.  They have two children, Kate Gardner (now Mrs. W. A. Teall) and Denton J.

+++++

CALVERT, Charles M. (Dr.)

DR. CHARLES M. CALVERT, surgeon dentist, Eau Claire, was born in Milwaukee, Sept. 24, 1850, and when three years of age went with his father to Waukesha County, and lived there until he was twenty years old, when he located in Pepin County.  He began the study of dentistry in September, 1867, with Dr. Crary, of Minneapolis, and remained with him seven years, three as an apprentice, three receiving a salary, and the last year being his partner.  He was in Tomah two years, and in the Fall of 1877 came to Eau Claire, and began the practice of his profession the following Spring.  He was married in Tomah, in November 1877, to Annie Woodley Griggs, who was born in Illinois, ad had one child, Hattie, by a former marriage.

+++++

CARLSON, Christian

CHRISTIAN CARLSON, of Carlson Brothers, hardware merchants, Eau Claire, came to Wisconsin in 1870, and located at this place. He was employed as gardener, etc., for six years, and clerked in hardware business for a few months; commenced present business in March, 1877, in company with his two brothers, Anton and Sigwart; is Alderman of the Seventh Ward. He was born in Norway, Nov. 2, 1854, and came to America, June, 1870; returned to Norway, and was married there, Oct. 1, 1879, to Bertha Baarlie, who is a native of that country.

+++++

CARSON, William

William Carson
WILLIAM CARSON, president and treasurer of the valley Lumber Co., was born in Inverness, Canada.  In his youth, went to Massachusetts; lived there until 1837, when he removed to Southern Illinois, and remained there and in St. Louis until June, 1838, when he came to Wisconsin, locating at Badger Mills, a few miles from the present city of Eau Claire.  When he came, thee was no house between this point and Prairie du Chien.  He made claim to the ground where North Eau Claire is now located, which he sold to Stephen McCann the following year.  For about two years after coming here, he worked by the month, doing some lumbering for himself, soon after coming to this region.  He spent one Summer in Dubuque, Iowa, and in 1840 went to Eau Galle, thirty miles from Eau Claire, where he commenced the manufacture of shingles, etc., and running the same to market.  In 1844, he purchased an interest in the mill at Eau Galle, and is still one of the proprietors of it.  He continued to reside there until the Fall of 1874, when he became one of the principal owners of the Valley Lumber Co.  He then came to Eau Claire.  Mr. Carson is also one of the proprietors of the Rand Lumber Co. and Keokuk Lumber Co., and is also one of the owners of several lumber yards in Iowa.  He was married by Rev. Mr. Thomas, a Methodist clergyman, at Prairie du Chien, Wis., in 1847, to Mary E. Smith, a native of Rutland, Vt.  They have six children - Jessie, Mary, Belle, Kate, William, Jr., and Fannie. 

+++++

CASS, Josiah Edward

JOSIAH EDWARD CASS, of the firm of Cass & Tracy, druggists, Eau Claire, was born in Cattaraugus Co., N. Y., and came to Buffalo County in 1859.  He lived there until 1863, when he enlisted in Co. B., 7th Wis. V. I., and was mustered out in 1865, after the close of the war.  He taught school in Buffalo County for two years after he left the army,a nd in 1867, came to Eau Claire, and was employed in the stores of French & Brown, Barnes & French and Seth French & Co., becoming a member of the latter firm in 1871.  He was married in Eau Claire in January, 1874, to Catherine Pitkin.  Mr. Cass conducted the gymnasium in this city for two years.

+++++

CHALES, Henry C.

HENRY C. CHALES, harness, Eau Claire.  Came to Wisconsin Feb. 14, 1876.  Located at Eau Claire.  Worked at harness trade, and was in fruit business some three months.  Commenced present business March, 1878.  Was born in Canada Sept. 15, 1851.  Came to United States in 1876.  Married, Jan. 26, 1880, at Eau Claire, to Flora Eliza Nauman, who was born in Eau Claire.  Have one child, Georgiana.

+++++

CHAMBERS, Andrew

ANDREW CHAMBERS, lumbering for Eau Claire Lumber Co., Eau Claire.  Came to Wisconsin in 1856, and located at Baraboo.  Came to Eau Claire in 1857 and has been engaged in lumbering for some years.  Enlisted in November, 1861, in 16th Infantry; served one year.  Wounded in left leg at Pittsburg Landing.  returned to Eau Claire in 1862, and engaged with the Eau Claire Lumber Co. since.  Was born in Ireland May 16, 1834, and came to America when quite young.  Was married in Eau Claire, Dec. 17, 1863, to Jane Hanson, who was born in Norway.  The children are Ida M. and James H.

+++++

CHAMBERLIN, C. A.

C. A. CHAMBERLIN, one of the corporators of the Empire Lumber Company, Eau Claire, was born in Manchester, N. H., Nov. 7, 1846.  During his infancy his parents moved to Massachusetts, where he lived until 1853, when he came to Portage, and in June, 1856, to Eau Claire.  He was for several years clerk of a steamboat on the Ohio and Mississippi rivers.  In 1870, he became connected with the firm of Ingram & Kennedy, serving as book-keeper for a year, then taking charge of office work for eight years, and afterward attending to their Mississippi River lumber interests until the organization of the Empire Lumber Co., since which time he has been assistant secretary of that organization.  He was secretary and treasurer of the Charles Horton Lumber Co., Winona, Minn., for one year, and Town Clerk of Eau Claire for one term.  He was married in La Crosse, March 4, 1869, to Alice E. Black, who was born in Cambridge, Mass.

+++++

CHAPMAN, George B.

GEORGE B. CHAPMAN, came to Eau Claire in 1859 and was employed in Hall Bros.' Bank until 1860; was then with the Jackson Bros., merchants, until 1864, when he engaged in mercantile business with D. R. Moon, under the firm name of G. B. Chapman and Co.  In May, 1866, he purchased Mr. Moon's interest.  In 1874, he and Mr. Gilman, who was connected with him in business, consolidated with the N. W. Lumber Co., which arrangement lasted until April, 1880, when they purchased the interest of the Lumber Co., and re-organized under the firm name of Geo. B. Chapman & Co., wholesale and retail dealers in general merchandise.  They have an elevator at the depot, a store in Chippewa Falls, and deal heavily in coal and grain here.  Mr. Chapman is vice-president of the Northwestern Lumber Co.  He was born in Morgan, Ashtabula Co., Ohio, Feb. 13, 1837; went with his parents while an infant to Morgan Co., Ill., settling first near Waverly, and some five or six years later moving to Hancock County.  When he was thirteen or fourteen years old the family went to Arkansas, and six years later he returned to Illinois, entered the corps of civil engineers, and was employed in the United States and Central America for three years.  In January, 1859, he came to Eau Claire, where he was married to Mrs. Cornelia B. Mickles (nee Gilman), who was born in Ohio, and had one child, Josephine, by her former marriage.  They have three children - George B., Sally and Sidley.  Mr. Chapman was Mayor two consecutive years.

+++++

CHILDS, Garrit P.

GARRIT P. CHILDS, Eau Claire, was born in the town of Sullivan, Jefferson Co., Jan. 31, 1854, and lived there ten years.  He has resided in Eau Claire ever since.  He has been engaged in handling horses ever since he began work for himself; was for several years engaged in training horses, and is now in the employ of the Eau Claire Lumber Co., having charge of their horses and barns.  They have 134 horses now in their stock.  Mr. Childs performs all veterinary services for the company.

+++++

CHURCHILL, Benjamin J.

BENJAMIN J. CHURCHILL was born in the town of Champlain, Clinton Co., N. Y., Feb. 22, 1831, and lived there until September, 1853, when he came to Columbus, Columbia Co., and engaged in teaching Winters, and in carpenter work Summers. From Columbus he came to Eau Claire County, in June, 1857, and located in the town of Brunswick, where he engaged in farming for twelve years. He came to Eau Claire in March, 1869, and engaged in real estate business until 1880. He was County Treasurer eight years, from 1871 until 1879, and has held various city, town and county offices. He was Supervisor and Chairman of the town of Brunswick most of the time while there; was Town Treasurer, and after coming to Eau Claire was Supervisor of the town of Eau  Claire, member of the Village Board, and Assessor of the First District of the city of Eau Claire three years, while County Treasurer. He is a member of the firm of G. B. Chapman & Co., who are extensive merchants and dealers in grain, coal, etc. He was married in Columbus, Oct. 25, 1856, to Hannah E. Pratt, who was born in Kalamazoo, Mich. They have four children - Jennie E., Charles, Cora E. and Homer. Mr. Churchill is a member of the Presbyterian Church and the Temple of Honor.

+++++

CHURCHILL, George W.

GEORGE W. CHURCHILL, City Clerk, Eau Claire, is a son of Nathaniel J. and Aseneth Denure Churchill, who located in Hartford, Washington Co., in 1844, where, Sept. 6, 1846, George W. was born.  Four years later they removed to Freeport, Ill., where Mr. Churchill, Sr., now resides, his wife having died in 1858.  Mr. Churchill enlisted in Co. A, 92d Ill. Vol. Inf., Sept. 19, 1862, serving until he was mustered out in July, 1865, and only missed one engagement of his command.  In 1870, he located in Chanute, Kansas, and in 1876 came to Eau Claire.  He was employed by the Badger State Lumber Company for one year and then by Ingram, Kennedy & Co. in their lumber office and store as book-keeper, and was elected City Clerk in April, 1881.  He was married, in Stephenson Co., Ill., Jan. 6, 1868, to Jennie E. Culver, who was born in Ashtabula, Ohio.  They have one child, Ivie.

+++++

CHURCHILL, Julius C.

JULIUS C. CHURCHILL, Eau Claire, son of Washington Churchill, a resident of the town of Brunswick, Eau Claire Co., was born in the town of Champlain, N. Y., Dec. 22, 1848, and came from there with his parents to the town of Columbus, Columbia Co., in 1854.  They moved to Brunswick, Eau Claire Co., in the Spring of 1857.  Mr. Churchill lived on a farm until he was seventeen years old. In the Spring of 1866 he came to Eau Claire and worked in the sash, door and blind factory of Graham, White & Co., for four years. He then attended the Commercial College in Sparta a few months, and received the first diploma issued by that institution. He was employed by the Eau Claire Lumber Co., for four years, and was then engaged in general mercantile business for himself for two years, when he returned to the Eau Claire Lumber Co. as manager of the wood supplies and shipping department of that company. He is now serving his third term as Chief Engineer of the Fire Department; is a member of the A., F. & A. M; secretary Lodge 112, King of Eau Claire Chapter 136, Senior Warden of Chippewa Commandery No. 8, and member of the A. O. U. W. He was married in Eau Claire Sept. 19, 1872, to Clara A. Parish, who was born in Baraboo, April 8, 1852, and moved to Eau Claire in 1869. They have one child. Ora Hope, born Aug. 11, 1875.

+++++

CLARKE, Joel (Rev. Dr.)

REV. DR. JOEL CLARKE, pastor of Christ's Church (Episcopal), Eau Claire. Was born in Warsaw, Pa., July 4, 1843. Enlisted, in 1861, in 105th Penn. V. I., as private; received a wound at battle of Chancellorsville, and remained for thirteen days and nights on battle field before being removed; was in hospital for some two years, part of the time as warden; was captured and made a prisoner at Belle Isle and Libby; received discharge from army in 1864. Educated at Philadelphia, Penn., by Prof Ashton, graduated at Nashotah (Wis.) Theological College, in 1873. Had charge of Emanuel Church. at Emporia, Penn., for four years, then St. John's Church, Portage, for two years, and for one year was in charge of Christ's Church, Delavan. Came to Eau Claire, April, 1880, and has charge of Christ's Church. Membership 250 to 300. Married, April 28, 1866, to S. V. Gill, of Philadelphia. Have three children -  Cyril, Annie and Allen.

+++++

CODY, John Edward

JOHN EDWARD CODY, lessee of shingle mill of Eau Claire Lumber Company. Came to Wisconsin in 1866, and located in Green Bay. Was employed in saw and shingle mill for five years, then went to Lake Superior, Mich., for two years, thence to Warren Co., Pa., for two years, and in Spencer one year. Came to Eau Claire in 1875, and has been engaged in running shingle mill for six years. Was born in Cleveland, N. Y., Feb. 29, 1848. Married in Cory, Penn., June 29, 1874, to Cora Graham, who was born in New York. They have one son, John Franklin, and one daughter, deceased.

+++++

COLLINS, John G. (Rev. Father)

REV. FATHER JOHN G. COLLINS, pastor St. Patrick's Catholic Church, Eau Claire. Born near Genesee Falls, N. Y., March 31, 1854. Went to Janesville and entered the seminary of St. Francis, near Milwaukee. Graduated, and was ordained June 24, 1878, by Archbishop Henni, of Milwaukee; was then sent to Seneca Falls, Crawford Co.; remained there two years as pastor of St. Patrick's Church. Came to Eau Claire, Sept. 24, 1880. Has charge of St. Patrick's Church, in connection with St. Patrick's School; 300 families attend the church. Is now engaged in building a new church in West Eau Claire, to seat 900 or 1,000 persons. Corner-stone was laid Sunday, June 26, 1881.

+++++

COMPO, Ephraim

EPHRAIM COMPO, boots and shoes. Came to Wisconsin in 1864, and located at Eau Claire. After a two years' residence, he commenced business on his own account, and carried it on up to 1876. He then farmed for four years in Chippewa County, and while there was a Justice of the Peace. Commenced present business in January, 1881. Was at one time on Eau Claire police force for two years. He was born in Canada, April 8, 1845. Was married in Eau Claire, Nov. 20, 1867, to Mary Brennan, who was born in Ireland, and who died in Eau Claire, Feb. 5, 1880. There are five children - Louis, Ida, Maud, Ephraim and Winfred.

+++++

COOK, W. F.

W. F. COOK, proprietor of marble works, Eau Claire. Was born in Manchester, Bennington Co., Vt., Jan. 21, 1837. He lived there until June, 1855, when he came to Milwaukee, where he remained a year. He removed to Oshkosh and opened the first marble shop there, in April, 1856; two years later he went to Sparta, and came from there to Eau Claire in 1871. He began work as a marble cutter in 1853, and has continued at it ever since. He has been Justice of the Peace, Chief of the Fire Department, and was appointed Assessor in May, 1881, and is a member of the I. O. O. F. He was married in Sparta, June 24, 1861, to his first wife, Adelia McClure, who was born in Chenango Co., N. Y., and died in 1865, leaving two children, Walter and Fannie, both now living. He was married to his present wife, Mrs. Cordelia A. Case (nee Smith), in Eau Claire, in October, 1879. Mr. Cook employs four men in his marble works; they do monumental work exclusively. He travels over Chippewa, Eau Claire, Dunn, Pepin and Barron counties.

+++++

COON, N. D.

N. D. COON, musical merchandise, Eau Claire, was born in Herrick, Pa., Nov. 19, 1839. In 1859, studied music in North Reading Mass., under Lowell Mason and George F. Root. In 1861, enlisted in the 141st Pa.; was taken prisoner at the second battle of Chancelorsville; was discharged at the end of the war. Came to Wisconsin in the Spring of 1866, taught music in the principal towns in Northwestern Wisconsin, located in Eau Claire in 1873, and commenced business - musical merchandise - in a small way; has by perseverance, integrity and attention to business, built up a large trade, and is now one of the leading responsible business men of West Eau Claire. Married at Black River Falls, Wis., Nov. 10, 1867, to Sarah E. Burnett, born at Cleveland. Have one child, Alice Blanche, born July 12, 1870.

+++++

CRAMER, Peter

PETER CRAMER, saloon, Eau Claire, came to Wisconsin in 1853, and located in Dodge County, where he lived on a farm; then went to Dunn County, where he was employed in the woods for seven years by Knapp, Stout & Co.; came to Eau Claire in 1869, and was employed in the woods for several years; commenced present business in Spring of 1876, He owns his place of business; was born in Germany, June 29, 1848, and came to America in 1853; was married in Eau Claire, July 15, 1870, to Annie Widom, who was born in Germany. They have six children - Peter, Margaret, Elizabeth, Mary, Annie and Joseph.

+++++

CULBERTSON, Henry M.

HENRY M. CULBERTSON, carriage factory, Eau Claire, came to Wisconsin in 1856, and located at Dunnville; worked as blacksmith for some six years. He enlisted in 1862, in the 16th Wis. I., as a private; served over three years, and held the rank of captain at the time of discharge. Opened a boot and shoe business, in 1865, at Durand, and moved it to Eau Claire in 1866, where he continued it for eight months; was then employed in a foundry for two years, and commenced present business in 1869. He was for a short time in partnership with S. F. Benjamin, but has since been alone. He employs eight men. He was born in Mercer Co., Pa., Oct. 5, 1840, and married at Durand, Feb, 28, 1867, to Caroline S. Coffin, who was born at Ravenna, Ohio. They have three children - Sarah J., Ruth and Millie.

+++++

CULBERTSON, James H.

JAMES H. CULBERTSON, Eau Claire, was born near Albany, Whiteside Co., Ill., Aug. 20, 1842, and lived in that State until 1851, when, with his mother, he went to St. Paul, Minn., and two years later moved to Le Sueur, Minn. In the Spring of 1854, he removed to Red Wing, and from there to Pepin, in 1857, two years later going to Dunnville, and, in 1861, from Dunnville to Durand, where he remained until 1868, when he came to Eau Claire. Mr. Culbertson was in the drug business while in Durand, and continued it in Eau Claire until 1871, in which year he began publishing the Chippewa Valley News. He continued that until 1874, when he commenced studying law, and was admitted to the Bar in October, 1876. He has been in the practice of his profession since that time in Eau Claire. He was elected Justice of the Peace in 1870, and served two years; was re-elected in the Spring of 1881, and is now serving in that position. He was married Nov. 28, 1877, at Johnstown, Rock Co., to Annie A. Chickering, who was born in Green Lake County.

+++++

CULBERTSON, W. R.

W. R. CULBERTSON, carpenter. Was born Jan. 17, 1831, in Georgetown, Penn. Came to Wisconsin in 1857, after living at various places, is now living in Eau Claire. Married Delia Berry, in 1861, and has seven children.

+++++

CULLINS, Charles

CHARLES CULLINS, engineer at S. Marston's mill, Eau Claire, was born at Green Lake, July 9, 1849; went to Berlin in 1863, and was employed in mill as engineer and foreman; enlisted early in 1865, in 1st Wis. C., as musician, and served until the close of the war; was on the Plains for two years in the employ of the United States Government; then, for two and one-half years, fireman on K. P. R. R.; was engaged at Fairchilds and other places in Wisconsin, as engineer in mills, for five years; was at Madison for six months in employ of C. &. N. W. R. R.; came to Eau Claire in March, l881, and engaged in present capacity; has been a member of "Temple of Honor" Temperance Society since 1880. He was married at Ft. Howard, March 8, 1877, to Mary Kate Reynolds, who was born in England. They have one child, James.

+++++

CULVER, D. A.

D. A. CULVER, millwright Empire Lumber Co., Eau Claire, came to Wisconsin in 1852, and located at Black River Falls; was employed in saw-mill, as millwright, for ten years; came to Eau Claire in 1862, and was there employed in various mills, and, in 1867, was in mill business for a year as Culver & Ingram; afterward, for a year, with William B. Esterbrook; has been in employ of Empire Lumber Co. in various capacities for eleven years. He was married in Black River Falls, Aug. 2, 1855, to Julia A. Sterling, who was born in the State of Maine. They have one son, Frank S. They have lost three children.

+++++

CULVER, E. S.

E. S. CULVER, manager Culver & Ellison, boots and shoes, Eau Claire, came to Wisconsin, Oct. 21, 1867; located at Eau Claire; was salesman and book-keeper previous to entering business, in 1874, with E. Tarrant; did business for some two years, then dissolved; was salesman for some two years. In 1879, took charge - for Howell Hoppocka, of New York City - of bankrupt estate of D. J. Spaulding, Unity, Clark Co.; was engaged one year in settling the same; returned to Eau Claire and has since been engaged as manager, with Culver & Ellison, boots and shoes: born at Elkhart, Pa., May 4, 1848; married, Dec. 24, 1875, at Eau Claire, to G. M. Butler, who is a native of Maine.

+++++

CUTLER, Charles

CHARLES CUTLER, Eau Claire, came to Milwaukee in 1846, but did not permanently locate there until November, 1855. He remained there until 1863. He has been engaged in engineering over twenty years, on several of the Western and Southern railroads. His first engineering was done in Wisconsin, in 1855. From December, 1863, until February, 1865, he was in the South. in 1865, he located in Madison, running a locomotive on the Milwaukee & Prairie du Chien road, and, six months later, returned to Milwaukee, and was employed on the Milwaukee & Saint Paul road until 1868; was employed on the Winona & Saint Peter road, from 1868 to 1869, residing at Winona, moving in the latter year to Wabasha, running a stationary engine and steamboat engineering while there. In November, 1871, he came to Eau Claire, and ran a locomotive on the West Wisconsin road, until late in 1874. In 1875, he took charge of the G. E. Porter Fire Engine, No. 2, of which he is still engineer, besides having charge of the City Hall building and giving some of his attention to farming. He was born in the city of Buffalo, N.Y., Jan. 2, 1835, and lived in Illinois during 1849. He is the son of Hector and Pertnelia Cutler, who came from Buffalo in 1828. His father died in the Fall of 1849. His mother resides in St. Louis. He was married in Milwaukee, Dec. 24, 1859, to Elizabeth Jackman, who was born in England. They have six children - Frank, Florence, George L. J., Willie, Fred and Harry, the two latter being twins.

Please use this form to search this site:
  Help
Site Search by PicoSearch pico
disclaimer

The WIGenWeb Project logo was designed and provided by Debbie Barrett.



DISCLAIMER:  No claim is made to the copyrights of the individual submitters. The contents of this entire website may be used for personal use only by individuals researching their ancestry. Commercial use of this information for profit is strictly prohibited without prior permission of the owners. Other genealogical websites may link to this website; however, permission is not granted to duplicate any of the contents. Anyone contributing material for posting does so in recognition of its free, non-commercial distribution, as well as the responsibility to assure that no copyright is violated by the submission.  This website and its coordinator are not responsible for donations of copyrighted material where explicit written permission has not been granted for use.

copyright footer


Copyright © 1998 - 2012 wigenwebcc
All Rights Reserved
This website was first established on 28 Jan 1998