Eau Claire Co. WIGenWeb what's new tools photos histories databases home
Histories > Eau Claire Co. Historical Accounts

"History of Northern Wisconsin, 1881"

Eau Claire Biographical Sketches

(-as transcribed from pages 314 - 338)

"B" Surnames

BAILEY, W. F.
BAILEY, W. H.
BANGS, S. M.
BARLAND, John C.
BARLAND, Thomas (Rev.)
BARTLETT, Edward M. (Colonel)
BARTLETT, Milton D.
BARTLETT, William Pitt
BAYLESS, Vincent W.
BEAUREGARD, Joseph
BELL, John
BLETCHER, Joseph
BLUM, Valentine
BOEHM, Joseph (Rev. Father)
BONELL, J.
BONELL, James
BONELL, William
BOSTWICK, Arthur S.

BOWE, Michael A.
BOWMAN Thomas O.
BRACKETT, James M.
BRANDSTAD, Paul
BRESEE, Darius
BRIMI, Syver E.
BROWN, Daniel E.
BRUNNER, Edward J.
BUFFINGTON, George A.
BULLEN, Charles A.
BURDITT, A.
BURLINGHAM, P. H.
BURROUGHS, E. S.
BURROUGHS, R. D.
BURT, George (Prof.)
BURTON, George F.
BUTTERFIELD, W. E.


+++++

BAILEY, W. F.

W. F. BAILEY, lawyer, was born at Carmel, Putnam Co., N. Y., in 1842. After receiving his education, he enlisted, in 1861, in the 38th N. Y. Vols., Co. I; in 1862, was appointed captain of Co. K, 95th Regt; was engaged in both battles of Bull Run, and other battles; was wounded and discharged, on Surg. Gen. Barnes's certificate. Was admitted to the Bar in 1863, in Brooklyn; practiced in Amenia, N. Y., till 1867, when he came to Eau Claire, and practiced with Mr. Latimer for a time. Mr. Bailey is a man of great energy and pertinacity of purpose; has been one of the prominent men of Eau Claire from the first; was President of the village, four years, District Attorney, two years, 1874 and 1875, Mayor in 1878, and is now president of the French Lumber Co. at Chippewa Falls, one of the two principal mills there. Was married to Mercy Cole, of Carmel, N. Y., in 1864. They have no children. Mr. Bailey's father practiced law in New York City twenty-five years. Was attorney for the Harlem Railroad Co. many years. His only brother, Elbert, is manager for the Harlem Railroad, at Mt. Kisco, N. Y.

+++++

BAILEY, W. H.

W. H. BAILEY, painter, born in Essex County, N.Y., in 1835; came to Wisconsin in 1857, and to Eau Claire in 1859; began his present business as sign painter, doing most of the city work and vicinity. Married some years ago, and has several children.

+++++

BANGS, S. M.

S. M. BANGS, builder, Eau Claire, was born in Luzerne County, Penn., and came to Wisconsin in 1855, settling in Marquette Co. After being there two years, he came to Eau Claire in 1857, and has remained since. Engaged in building, with the exception of a short time lumbering. Married in Marquette County, March, 1867, to Clarissa Badgro. Have one son, T. M. Bangs, in business at Eau Claire.

+++++

BARLAND, John C.

JOHN C. BARLAND, farmer, Town 27, Sec. 27, Eau Claire Co., was born in Jacksonville, Ill., Nov. 2, 1841. He is the eldest son of Rev. Thomas Barland, a native of Perth, Scotland, who emigrated to America when twenty-five years of age. He had up to that time devoted his life to the various departments of study at the schools and Perth Academy, and graduated at St. Andrew's College, Edinburgh, after which he studied theology with Dr. Dick and Dr. Chalmers. His health becoming impaired, he, with his wife, came to America, and settled in Jackson, where John was born. When about twelve years of age, John, with his father's family, came to Eau Claire County, and has since lived on land his father located, except the Winter of 1854 and 1856, when he took six months' schooling in Knox Academy, under the teaching of President Blanchard. Hie entered the military service in the 16th Wis. Vol. Inf., enlisting in the Fall of 1863. Early in the Spring of 1864, the regiment went to Vicksburgh, where it remained a short time, when it moved to Black River. While in Vicksburgh, Mr. Barland, whose health was rather delicate, was stricken down with a fever, but from which he made a fair recovery. The regiment was ordered up the river to Cairo, and embarked on transports, in May, from Vicksburgh, and shortly after, went up the river on a fleet of thirteen transports, with a convoy of gunboats up the Ohio, and debarked at Clifton, Tenn. From this date until the close of the war, the campaign was one of great activity. Mr. Barland was much of the time on detached service, in subordinate command of the train guard, a most ceaseless and arduous duty, much of the time getting very little rest day or night, and at one time during the campaign was laid up a few days from sheer exhaustion. However, he took an active part in several of the engagements, went through on the March to the Sea, and from Savannah to Washington. There was a great strife between the corps commanders of the 16th and 17th Corps, to see which should lead the other into Washington, and many fell out by the way, unable to keep up with their command. John kept up with his command most of the way on that terrible march, and finally stripped for the march by throwing away nearly everything except his gun, and was obliged to yield from sheer exhaustion, but luckily managed to reach the rear of the army, after a weary march, while it was crossing one of the great rivers on the line of march, making most of the march barefooted. His rank was that of corporal. He was discharged with his regiment, in July, 1865, and returned home, and was immediately forced into the "front rank" on the farm, which sadly showed the neglect of the husbandman during his term in the war. By good management and industry, he has improved and enlarged his farm, and keeping a dairy of thirty-five cows, regularly supplies milk for a portion of the city of Eau Claire. He employs a good force on his farm, and is taking the world easier, living near town, and fortified by an ample newspaper list, and occasionally contributing to them, by poetry and sketches. P. O., Eau Claire.

+++++

BARLAND, Thomas (Rev.)

REV. THOMAS BARLAND, Eau Claire. Was born in Perth, Scotland, in March, 1810, and educated in Perth Seminary, Edinburgh and Glasgow Universities, and was one year in the Glasgow Andersonian Medical College. In Latin, French and mathematics, he received high honors. He came to America when about twenty-three years of age, and located in Jacksonville, Ill., and engaged in preaching and farming there for nine years; then went to Kane County, and lived in St. Charles and vicinity for over a year, teaching, preaching and farming, acting as missionary preacher. He taught school in Chicago about seven months; then received a commission from the American Tract Society in Central Illinois, and was, for two years, engaged in distributing their religious books. He then bought a farm in Logan Co., Ill., and engaged in farming for five years. In 1849, he came to Eau Claire, and has lived here and in this vicinity ever since, preaching more or less. He was the first preacher here. He was married in Glasgow, Scotland, in May, 1833, to Margaret Wilson, who was a native of that city, and who died July 23, 1877. Mr. Barland has six children - Agnes, now Mrs. John Keith; John C., Birney R., Isabella, now Mrs. Fred. Town; Margaret, now Mrs. Dr. Charles Hodgeboom, of Eau Claire, and George.

+++++

BARTLETT, Edward M. (Colonel)

COLONEL EDWARD M. BARTLETT, Eau Claire. Came to Dead Lake Prairie, then Dunn County, now town of Frankfort, Pepin Co., in 1855, and lived there two Winters, and in the southern part of the State one Winter. In 1858, he settled in Dunn County, residing in Dunnville and Menomonie until Oct. 21, 1862, when he was commissioned lieutenant-colonel of the 30th Wis. I., serving until the close of the war. He was mustered out as lieutenant-colonel in October, 1865. He was the builder of Ft. Rice and Ft. Sully. He was born in the town of Victor, Cayuga Co., N. Y., Aug. 3, 1839. In his sixteenth year he came to East Troy, Walworth Co., and lived there and at Delavan until he moved to Dunn County. While in East Troy he read law in the office of Henry Cousins (now Register of U. S. Land office in Arizona), who afterward practiced his profession with his former student. Col. Bartlett settled in Eau Claire in January, 1866, and has practiced his profession here ever since, with the exception of five years, when he served as Register of the U. S. Land Office. He was admitted to the Bar in 1856, being then not quite eighteen years old, and is now City Attorney. He resigned the position of County Judge of Dunn County when he entered the army; he was at that time serving his fourth year as Judge. In December, 1870, he was married in Eau Claire to Miss Adella L. French, who was born in Jefferson Co., N. Y. They have three children - Frank Duane, E. Mabel and Arthur. Col. Bartlett is a member of the I. O. O. F., and of the A., F. & A. M.

+++++

BARTLETT, Milton D.

MILTON D. BARTLETT, Eau Claire. Was born in the town of Victory, Cayuga Co., N. Y., Nov. 3, 1833, and lived in Auburn, N. Y., after he was twelve years old until the Spring of 1852. when he came to Wisconsin, locating in East Troy, Walworth Co. In October, 1852, he returned East, and in the Spring of 1854, came to Delavan, remaining there one year. Was then for a year in East Troy, and in the Spring of 1856, moved to Dunn County (now the town of Waterville, Pepin Co.), where he lived until the Spring of 1860, when he went to Durand, remaining there until the Winter of 1865 and 1866; he then went to Minneapolis, and in 1870, came from there to Eau Claire. He studied law in Auburn and Syracuse, N. Y., and practiced it in Delavan; discontinuing it for a time while engaged in farming. In 1859, he resumed practice, which he has since continued. He was County Judge of Pepin County, and resigned that position to go to the State Senate in 1862 and '63, having been elected in the Fall of 1861 He was married in Ellisburgh, Jefferson Co., N. Y., in August, 1854, to Mary F. Brewster who was a native of that place. They have eight children  Jay Carl, Earl B., Mary Belle, Edward I., Maud E., John W., Guy Paul and Ethel Claire. Mr. Bartlett is a member of the A., F. & A. M., of the Temple of Honor, and is one of the oldest Good Templars in the State, having joined that order in Auburn before coming West.

+++++

BARTLETT, William Pitt

WILLIAM PITT BARTLETT, Eau Claire. Came to Watertown, Wis., Oct. 1, 1855; taught school there six months, and studied law in Enos & Skinner's law office. He was admitted to the Bar in 1856, and in May, 1857, came to Eau Claire, and has engaged in active practice since. He was the first lawyer and the only one in the county until July, 1857, when Alexander Meggett came. Mr. Bartlett has been a member of the School Board since the fourth week after his arrival; he was elected District Attorney in the Fall of 1857, and held that office until January, 1860. In the Fall of 1859, he was elected member of Assembly; appointed County Judge for two years in 1860; from 1863 to 1867 he was District Attorney; in the Fall of 1872, was again elected member of Assembly; in 1875, he was appointed Register of U. S. Land Office, and held that office over four years; his name was sent in for re-appointment, but he had it withdrawn. He is Alderman of the Third Ward, having been elected in the Spring of 1881, and immediately chosen President of the Common Council. He was born in Minot, Cumberland Co., Me., Aug. 13, 1829, and was reared in Somerset County. He entered Waterville College in 1849, graduating in 1853. He taught in the Hallowell Academy, pursuing his law studies; commenced while he was in college; he was admitted to the Bar of the Supreme Court of Wisconsin in 1860, and to the U. S. Supreme Court in 1874. He was married in Baraboo, Sauk Co., Aug. 15, 1861, to Hettie Hart, a daughter of Edward H. Hart, an early settler and still a resident of Sauk County. She was born in Middlebury, Summit Co., Ohio. They have five children - Livilla P., Edward W., Sumner P., Frank H. and Stanley.

+++++

BAYLESS, Vincent W.

VINCENT W. BAYLESS, banker, Eau Claire. Was born in Broome Co., N. Y., Oct. 15, 1845, and moved to Kansas in 1858, locating at Highland, where he lived three years. In the Fall of 1861, he went to Dubuque, Iowa; remaining there but a few months, he returned to New York, for a year or two and taught school. He was principal of the Commercial College at Freeport, Ill., for some years, and commenced his banking career in Binghamton, N. Y., where he remained. until he came to Wisconsin, in 1873, locating in Chippewa Falls. In the Summer of 1873, the First National Bank was organized, and Mr. Bayless was made cashier, which position he retained until 1876, when he came to Eau Claire and re-organized the Chippewa Valley Bank. He has been U. S. Receiver of the public moneys since May, 1878. He was married in Cortland, N. Y., Sept. 10, 1873, to Clara T. Pomeroy, who was born in Syracuse, Onondaga Co., N. Y., and is a daughter of Dr. T. C. Pomeroy, of that place. They have one child, Harry C.

Mr. Bayless's father, Gen. John Bayless, was one of the founders of Highland University, a Presbyterian institution, located in Highland, Kansas. He was president of the board, and one of the anti-slavery pioneers of Kansas Gen. Bayless returned to Binghamton in 1863, and died in that city in 1873.

+++++

BEAUREGARD, Joseph

JOSEPH BEAUREGARD, builder, Eau Claire, was born in Canada. Resided for a time in Vermont, then in Massachusetts, where he learned the trade of cabinet maker. Came west with his parents; settled in Eau Claire about 1866. Married in Massachusetts, to Catherine Fry. They have six children, of whom survive Marie E. (married to C. McCann, 1879). John C., Frederick and Catherine. Belongs to Temple of Honor, of Eau Claire.

+++++

BELL, John

JOHN BELL, first engineer Eau Claire Lumber Co., Eau Claire, came to Wisconsin in 1861, and located at Oconto, and was engaged in lumber mill for four years. Came to Eau Claire in 1865, and has been employed in present capacity for sixteen years. Was born in Ireland, Dec. 25, 1836, and came to America in 1859. Was married in Oconto, Wis., July 22, 1863, to Ellinor J. Wright, who was born in Ohio. They have one child, Jennie B.

+++++

BLETCHER, Joseph

JOSEPH BLETCHER, lumber dealer, Eau Claire, came to Wisconsin in 1863, and located in Eau Claire. Was engaged for six years in stocking mills with logs, also in buying and shipping lumber. Ran a mill in Fairchilds for two years. Is now dealing in lumber, etc. Was born in Canada, in 1832, and married there, but lost his wife. The children are Josephine Mary (now Mrs. Geo. B. Shaw) and Fred J. He again married, at Eau Claire, Aug. 27, 1868, Martha Jane Tarrant, who was born in Canada.

+++++

BLUM, Valentine

VALENTINE BLUM, saloon and billiards, Eau Claire, came to Wisconsin in 1861, and located at Waukesha. Was employed in stone quarry, and also farmed, for some two years. Came to Eau Claire in the Fall of 1864. He piloted for Daniel Shaw Lumber Co. and others for about ten years, and, in 1868, had a saloon in Chandler House, which was burned out May, 1868. Also owned a saloon at Frenchtown, Chippewa Co. He was on Eau Claire Police force for two years. Afterward in employ of N. W. R. R. Co., in Polk County, for two years, and while in that service received a severe injury. He commenced present business in March, 1880. He was born in Germany, March 2, 1844, and came to America 1861. Married, in Eau Claire, May 27, 1868, to Caroline Lang, a native of St. Louis, Mo. They have two children, George and Flora M.

+++++

BOEHM, Joseph (Rev. Father)

REV. FATHER JOSEPH BOEHM, pastor German Catholic Church, Eau Claire, was born in Ellangen, kingdom of Wurtemburg, Germany, March 13, 1846. Came to America Oct. 4, 1868, and located at Pittsburgh, Pa. Was ordained at St. Michael's Seminary there, by Bishop Mullen, of Erie, Pa., after which had charge of St. Alphonso's Church. at Wexford, Pa., for about one and one-half years. Returned to Pittsburgh, Pa., and had charge of St. Martin's Church for two years. Was also two years at Rochester, Pa. Came to Wisconsin, Feb. 10, 1876. Located at Horne Creek, and labored in the Church. Came to Eau Claire May 20, 1877. Has had charge of German Catholic Church during his residence at this place. Commenced building the present church in June, 1880, and dedicated the same June 26, 1881. The building is a very handsome structure, 105 feet long by 47 feet wide; has 88 pews, seating 400 people; has two uniform spires, 105 feet high.

+++++

BONELL, J.

J. BONELL. photographer, was born in Staffordshire, England, July 6, 1844. His father came with his family to Milwaukee in 1850, and established the first wagon and carriage factory there. He made the first buggy ever built in Milwaukee, and the first baby-carriage in Wisconsin. The family went to Delafield in 1853. In 1864, they came to Eau Claire, where the father now lives. He is a man of ability and genius. Was a draughtsman there many years. Mrs. Bonell was a woman of thorough education. Had the Chair of Latin and Greek in an institution in England for fifteen years. Mr. B. began for himself at twenty years of age, at Fond du Lac, learning his trade there. He has established galleries at Menomonie City and Chippewa Falls. His business, from the first, has been highly successful and remunerative. He built a number of business blocks in Menomonie, and houses. Came to Eau Claire in the Spring of 1881. Is an Odd Fellow of high degree. Was married to Mary Donaldson in 1868. Has one child, Fred, born 1870.

+++++

BONELL, James

JAMES BONELL, carriage maker, Eau Claire, firm of Bonell Bros., was born in Stafford, Staffordshire, England, Sept. 19, 1832. Came to United States about 1850, and located in Milwaukee. After spending some time in Waukesha, Chicago and Kansas City, moved to Eau Claire in 1857, and engaged in wagon making. Ran two or three years, then went to farming some two years. Then returned to town, and commenced present business. Married, April, 1858. Had six children, of whom three survive - Charles William, Benjamin Walter and Roy Garfield.

+++++

BONELL, William

WILLIAM BONELL, carriage maker, firm Bonell Bros., came to Wisconsin about 1850. First settled in Milwaukee, where he learned his trade. Went to Chicago, and after a time moved to Portage City. Came to Eau Claire, November, 1866. Enlisted at Portage City in 1st Wis., as artificer of regiment. Served one year.

+++++

BOSTWICK, Arthur S.

ARTHUR S. BOSTWICK, Eau Claire, is a son of Martin C. and and Lucy Hathaway Bostwick, who moved to what is now the town of Marshall, Dane County, in 1844. His mother died near Deansville, in that county, in 1846, and his father died there in 1874. Mr. Bostwick was born in what is now known as Underhill Flat, Chittenden Co., Vt., Dec. 5, 1825, and moved from there to Illinois in 1843, prior to the time his parents came west. In 1844, he was with them in Dane County; in 1845, he went to the pineries and worked in Grand Rapids about four months; then returned and lived in Jefferson County. At the time of Mexican War he served in the 10th U. S. Regt.; enlisting in August, 1847, serving four months, and being discharged near Vera Cruz, on account of disability. He returned and lived in Jefferson County, until 1849, when he went to California. He remained on the Pacific Coast until 1855; he arrived home in 1856; after spending the Summer in Vermont, he came to Eau Claire, November 19, and engaged in blacksmithing here until he was elected Sheriff in the Fall of 1858. He summoned his first jury in June, 1857, being Under Sheriff, at that time organized the county. He served two years as Under Sheriff, and in 1859 and '60, was Sheriff, and Under Sheriff in 1861 and '62. He has also been Assessor, and is now Alderman of the Eighth Ward. He has been with the Eau Claire Lumber Company since March, 1866, as general superintendent of blacksmith and wagon shops. Mr. Bostwick was married in Eau Claire, May 8, 1858, to Bridget Gunn, who was born in Ireland. They have had eleven children. Their son, Hoyt Clark, died Dec. 26, 1880, aged three years and ten months. The living children are: Arthur J., Lucy A., Francis G., Minnie, Katie, John M., Nellie, Gertrude F., May and Stephen Brick. Mr. Bostwick has been a member of the I. O. O. F. since 1849, and also belongs to the Temple of Honor.

+++++

BOWE, Michael A.

MICHAEL A. BOWE, foreman Crescent Flouring Mills, Eau Claire, was born in Dodge County. Dec. 23, 1852; learned his trade with his father, Jeremiah Bowe. Went to Fond du Lac in 1871, and was employed in flour mill up to 1873; then traveled for a year. From 1874-8 was employed as miller in Milwaukee; was then at Chippewa Falls and Minneapolis, Minn., for a short time, and came to Eau Claire, - May 25, 1879, and engaged in mill; has been foreman of same for six months. Was married in Milwaukee, Dec. 26, 1878, to Catherine Dunner, born in Milwaukee. Is a member of Knights of Pythias.

+++++

BOWMAN, Thomas O.

THOMAS O. BOWMAN came to Eau Claire in April, 1866, and, with the exception of ten months, in which he was employed by McIntyre & Co. in building the dam at the Dells, has been occupied in the machine shops of N. Shaw, being superintendent of the shops since February, 1881. He was born in Jackson, Mich., Nov. 12, 1846 and went, with his parents, to Iowa, in 1852, moving from there to Hancock Co., Ill., in 1862, where he enlisted, in March 1864, in Co. E., 18th Ill. V. I., serving until January, 1866, when he was mustered out at Springfield, Ill. He was married in Eau Claire, Sept. 3, 1869 to Mattie I. Baker, who was born at Elizabethtown, Essex Co.. N. Y. They have three children living - William S., Blanche B., and an infant son; two of their children died in infancy. Mr. Bowman is a member of the Baptist Church and of I. O. O. F.

+++++

BRACKETT, James M.

JAMES M. BRACKETT, Eau Claire, came to Wisconsin in 1842 with his parents, Joseph W. and Lydia M. Brackett, and located on what is now the town of Brookfield, Waukesha Co. They lived there nine years, then moved to Bloomington, Grant Co.; in 1861, they went to Alma, Buffalo Co. James M. remained in Alma until May, 1865, when he located in Chippewa Falls, coming from there to Eau Claire, Jan. 1, 1870. He has been in the newspaper business since 1861, with the exception of the time he was in the army. In the Spring of 1862 he was commissioned by Gov. Solomon to raise men for the organization of Co. A., 20th Wis. V. I. With the assistance of two others, he raised the company, and at the time of its organization was commissioned second lieutenant, and in the Fall of the same year as first lieutenant. On account of disability, caused by sickness, he was mustered out at St. Louis, after five months' service. He started the Buffalo County Journal, at Alma, in the Spring of 1861. It was the first newspaper published there. He sold the paper in 1862; bought it again in 1863; sold it finally in 1865; went to Chippewa Falls and bought the Chippewa Valley Union, afterward called the Chippewa Union and Times; conducted that until Jan. 1, 1870, when he sold it and bought the Eau Claire Free Press, in partnership with Rodman Palmer, who withdrew from the paper a few months before he died, in the Fall of 1872. Mr. Brackett is now President of the Eau Claire Free Press Company. He was Deputy Provost-Marshal in Buffalo County for two years, after leaving the army. Was Deputy U. S. Assessor of Chippewa and Dunn counties for four years was Receiver in the U. S. Land Office, in Eau Claire, for four years, and has been Postmaster for the last three years. He was born in the town of Huntsburg, Geauga Co., Ohio, July 16, 1831, and lived there until he came to Wisconsin. His father was a native of New Hampshire, and was a member of the first State Legislature of Wisconsin, and died while visiting in Eau Claire, in 1873. His mother was a native of Massachusetts; she died in 1876. Mr. Brackett was married in Jo Daviess Co., Ill., March 19, 1854, to Lucina A. Hamilton, who was born in Allegany Co., N. Y. They have eight children living - Marion A. (now Mrs. Andrew L. Tracy), Seward W., Frank E., Charles W., Kate L., John W., Harvey J. and Joseph M. They had two children die in infancy.

+++++

BRANDSTAD, Paul

PAUL BRANDSTAD, proprietor Wisconsin House, Eau Claire, was born in Norway, Oct. 15, 1842; came to America in 1866, and located in Rice Co., Minn.; was engaged in farming and on railroad for a year; was then in Moore Co., Minn., for one year. Came to Eau Claire, Aug. 19, 1868, and worked for Eau Claire Lumber Company, and in other mills, for four years. Returned to Norway in 1872; came back to Eau Claire in June, 1873; was employed in a general store for a year; started Northwestern Hotel, and ran it for a year, and then engaged in lumbering for a year, and on Police force for two years; farmed in Barron County two years; returned to Eau Claire and opened a boardinghouse, in May, 1880; commenced present business in December, 1880. Married, April 14, 1874, in Eau Claire, to Mary Hansen; have three children - Oswald, Arthur and Emma.

+++++

BRESEE, Darius

DARIUS BRESEE, Eau Claire, was born in Berkshire, Chittenden Co., Vt., June 20, 1829. In 1834, his family removed to Sutton, Lower Canada, where, three years later, his father, John Bresee, died, and Darius returned to Vermont for one year, and then went to Canada for seven. When eighteen years of age he began learning the carpenter's trade, in Burlington, Vt., completing it when twenty-one, and working there for a year longer; was employed for a year and a half in Plattsburg. N. Y., and worked in various places in the East until he came to Sheboygan County, where he remained three years; was in Minnesota and La Crosse one year, and in January, 1855. came to Eau Claire. Remaining but a few days, he went to Chippewa Falls, but after a year and a half returned to Eau Claire, and assisted in the construction of the first steam saw-mill, for Chapman & Thorp, and in building Lockhart & Underhill's mill, at Waubeck. He returned to Chippewa Falls, and was there for a year and a half. During that time he was Town Clerk, Assessor and Deputy Town Treasurer of Eagle Point. He spent a year in the Eastern States and Virginia, and in the Summer of 1860 was employed in the railroad car shops at Fond du Lac. In the Fall of that year he entered Lawrence University, as a student, taking a three years' academic course, when he entered Garrett Biblical Institute, N. W. University, at Evanston, Ill., graduating in October, 1865. He was principal of the Eau Claire Wesleyan Seminary for one year; for two years serving as a preacher in the Methodist Episcopal Church; one year in Augusta and one year in Chippewa Falls. In 1868, he permanently located in Eau Claire as a real estate dealer, collector and business agent. He was married in Evanston, Oct. 12, 1865, to Jennie S. Webley, who was born in that city, and died in Eau Claire. Dec. 9, 1877, leaving one child, Oscar E., born Feb. 28, 1875. Mr. Bresee is a member of the Congregational Church and of the Temple of Honor. From 1870-75 he was Justice of the Peace. In 1874, he was appointed State Commissioner to lay out a State road from Eau Claire to Ashland. He now represents the Mutual Life Insurance, of New York, as its agent here and in this vicinity.

+++++

BRIMI, Syver E.

SYVER E. BRIMI, merchant, Eau Claire, was born in Norway, Dec. 27, 1853, and came to America alone in 1869; was in Chicago fourteen months, and then came to Eau Claire. He attended school for the first two years after his arrival, then employed in the store of the Northwestern Lumber Company for six months. He served as book-keeper in the office of the same company for six years and a half, when he entered into partnership with Christian Larson, dealing in clothing, gents' furnishing goods, hats, caps, boots, shoes, etc. He was married in Eau Claire, Sept. 18, 1875, to Lena Larson, who was born in Norway. They have four children - Charles E. L., Louis, Frederick and Mary. Mr. Brimi is a member of the I. O. O. F.

+++++

BROWN, Daniel E.

DANIEL E. BROWN, hardware merchant, Eau Claire, came to Wisconsin in 1844 with his parents, locating in Grant County. In 1840, went to St. Louis, and came from there to Eau Claire in October, 1866. He was engaged in hardware and stove business for the Eau Claire Lumber Company for twelve years. Since April, 1878, he has been engaged in business for himself. He was born in Middletown, Middlesex Co., Conn., Nov. 19, 1832. He was married in St. Louis, Mo., to his first wife, Mary E. Tiernan, who died in that city in 1860, leaving one daughter, Abbie E., now Mrs. Albert F. Flint, of St. Louis. He was married in St. Louis, July 8, 1865, to his present wife, Jennie E. Lee, a native of North Carolina. They have four children - Lulu E., Elbert L., Jessie L. and Joseph Thorp. Their daughter, Mabel, died in March, 1881, aged four years. Mr. and Mrs. Brown are members of the Presbyterian Church. Mr. Brown is a member of the Temple of Honor. He served forty days in Co. B, 10th Mo. State Militia; was in active service during that time, following up Price in his raids. He was a member of the militia all the time, and, although frequently on duty in the city, that was the only time he was in the field.

+++++

BRUNNER, Edward J.

EDWARD J. BRUNNER, of Schultze & Brunner, merchant tailors, Eau Claire, was born in Austria, Sept. 26, 1849; came to America in 1872, and to Wisconsin, June 31, 1872. Located at Eau Claire; worked at trade for one year. Went to Chippewa Falls and remained there five years, and then returned to Eau Claire. Commenced present business in company with Herman Schultze, Sept. 8, 1878.

+++++

BUFFINGTON, George A.

GEORGE A. BUFFINGTON, vice-president of the Valley Lumber Company, Eau Claire, was born in the town of Little Valley, CattaraugusGeo. A. Buffington Co., N. Y., June 29, 1825, and lived in Onondaga Co., N. Y., from his seventh to his nineteenth year. At that time, he came with his parents - Isaiah and Sophia Buffington - and settled on Big Foot Prairie, Walworth Co. His father died in Stephenson Co., Ill., in 1877; his mother lives with her son George, though still claiming Stephenson County as her home. He was married in the town of Sharon, Walworth Co., April 12, 1846, to Pluna L. Jones. who was born in Ithaca, N. Y. They have three children - Clarence M., Ida C. and Byron A. After his marriage, he went to Illinois and opened a farm ten miles west of Freeport, remaining there until the Fall of 1849, when he came to Oak Grove, Dodge Co., and engaged in general work until 1853, when he removed to Horicon, and was in the grocery business a year and a half, and in the livery business until Oct. 1, 1856, when he came to Eau Claire. In June, 1857, he bought the Niagara House, running it at intervals for ten years. In the Winter of 1858-9, he built the steamboat "Chippewa Valley," and was captain of that boat during the Summer of 1859, running between Reed's Landing and Eau Claire. In the Fall of 1859, he purchased one-half interest with Fred. L. Smith in the mill, at that time known as the Ball & Smith Mill. Three years later, Mr. Smith died, and his brother, C. M. Smith, became a partner with Mr. Buffington in the mill. After the organization of the Valley Lumber Company, they sold one-half interest to that company, which partnership still continues. Mr. Buffington has engaged in general merchandising several times since his arrival in Eau Claire, and was in the mercantile business from 1868 to 1877. lie at present runs two farms, and is one of the directors of the Dells Improvement Company. He was Chairman of the town of West Eau Claire before it became a part of the city. Was Mayor of the city, and is now serving his third term as Alderman.

+++++

BULLEN, Charles A.

CHARLES A. BULLEN, vice-president Daniel Shaw Lumber Company, Eau Claire, came to Wisconsin in the Summer of 1857, and located at Eau Claire. He has been interested in the Daniel Shaw Lumber Company for the past twenty-four years. He was elected Alderman of the first Board in Eau Claire, and held the position for one term. Was born in New Sharon, Me., Oct. 8, 1825, and married there, in 1854, to Adeline S. Shaw, who was born in Industry, Me. The children are Hattie C., Clarie A., Millie M. and Charles E., in the employ of the Daniel Shaw Lumber Company. His wife died in September, 1863, and he was again married in New Sharon, Me., to Eliza M. Howes, who was born in New Sharon. They have one daughter, Susie R.

+++++


BURDITT, A.

A. BURDITT, secretary Dells Lumber Company, Eau Claire, was born in Steuben Co., N. Y., May 21, 1834. Parents were New York State people, formerly from Vermont. Was raised on a farm, and continued this occupation until he came to Wisconsin in 1856; located in Chippewa Falls, and moved to Eau Claire in 1857. Followed the trade of carpenter and joiner until he engaged with the firm of Ingram, Kennedy & Co. in general occupations; remained with them several years. Was in store of Hoffman, Harris & Co. for some eighteen months previous to engaging in business as Prescott & Burditt. Was married, in Eau Claire, to Miss Mary Jane Pond, an adopted daughter of Mr. L. W. Pond, of Eau Claire. Has one son, Wilson A. Burditt. Is a member of the Masonic fraternity, West Eau Claire Lodge, Royal Chapter No. 32, Chippewa Commandery No. 8.

+++++

BURLINGHAM, P. H.

P. H. BURLINGHAM, grain buyer, etc., Eau Claire, was born in Wellsville, Allegany Co., N. Y., Oct. 3, 1844; moved to Wisconsin in 1861; located at Rock County. After spending two years in Salt Lake and one year in Iowa, finally located in Eau Claire in 1868; engaged in carpentering, etc., until 1872, when he took charge of station and warehouse of C., St. P., M. & O. R. R. Married in Eau Claire, May 26, 1872, to Miss Adela A. Jackson. They have four children - Earl Leroy, Emmette LeMoyne, Edgar Henry and Ada.

+++++

BURROUGHS, E. S.

E. S. BURROUGHS, billiard temperance hall, Eau Claire, was born in Troy, Ohio, 1849; came to Dodge Co., Wis., in 1865, carpentering eleven years. Was at Lake Superior two years, running a store; owned a temperance billiard hall in Augusta for a time, then in Chippewa Falls. Has been for two years in Eau Claire; has the finest billiard hall, outside of Milwaukee, in the State. It being a temperance hall, draws the best class of men. Mr. B. was married to Kate Tullam in 1879.

+++++

BURROUGHS, R. D.

R. D. BURROUGHS, freight clerk, C., St. P., M. & 0. R. R. Eau Claire, came to Wisconsin in 1864, and located at Portage, Wis. Was first employed at Reeseville as baggage-master, telegraph operator, etc., on C., M. & St. P. R. R. for eighteen months. In 1873, went to Lake Superior and clerked in general store there for several months, after which was at Humboldt, Mich., employed on M., H. & O. R. R. as baggage-master, freight clerk, etc., for two months. Farmed in Iowa for some three years; was then at Chippewa Falls employed as night clerk in Waterman House for a year; afterward had charge of a grocery business for eighteen months. Came to Eau Claire, Dec. 6, 1880, and has since been engaged in present capacity. He was born in Troy, Ohio, June 13, 1852.

+++++

BURT, George (Prof.)

PROF. GEORGE BURT, musician, Eau Claire, was born in Parkman, Ohio, 1833; went to St. Louis when fourteen years old. Was chief musician in the best theater in Pittsburgh for four years; was leader of martial music in the English Regulars in St. John, N. B. Was with them in '60 to '63 at Ft. Snelling, Minn.; was leader of a band for a time; then wept to San Antonio, Tex. Came to Wisconsin in 1877, and has taught in different places; came to Eau Claire in 1879.

+++++

BURTON, George F.

GEORGE F. BURTON, Eau Claire, was born in Westfield, Chautauqua Co., N. Y., Oct. 23, 1844, and when but two years old came to Plymouth, Sheboygan Co., with his parents. He served six months in Co. B, 27th Wis. V. I., in 1865, and the following year moved to Menomonie, Dunn Co., where he worked at the trade of pattern-maker for Knapp. Stout & Co., for eight years. In August, 1880, he came to Eau Claire, and has since been employed as superintendent of pattern department of Shaw's foundry and machine shops. He was married in Menomonie, July 22, 1876, to his present wife, Maria J. Irvine. They have three children - George Howard, William K. and Jesse G. Mr. Burton is a member of the A. O. U. W.

+++++


BUTTERFIELD, W. E.

W. E. BUTTERFIELD, saloon, Eau Claire, was born in Dane County, March 7, 1857. His parents, Bradly and Eliza (Buckley) Butterfield, came to Wisconsin about 1854, from New York, and settled in Dane County, where his father is now engaged in milling. His father was in the 52d Wis., Co. B, the latter part of the war. Came to Eau Claire in 1880.

Please use this form to search this site:
  Help
Site Search by PicoSearch pico
disclaimer

The WIGenWeb Project logo was designed and provided by Debbie Barrett.



DISCLAIMER:  No claim is made to the copyrights of the individual submitters. The contents of this entire website may be used for personal use only by individuals researching their ancestry. Commercial use of this information for profit is strictly prohibited without prior permission of the owners. Other genealogical websites may link to this website; however, permission is not granted to duplicate any of the contents. Anyone contributing material for posting does so in recognition of its free, non-commercial distribution, as well as the responsibility to assure that no copyright is violated by the submission.  This website and its coordinator are not responsible for donations of copyrighted material where explicit written permission has not been granted for use.

copyright footer


Copyright © 1998 - 2012 wigenwebcc
All Rights Reserved
This website was first established on 28 Jan 1998